Can the Law of Universal Gravitation Override Earth's Gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of two rings of different masses and radii being placed close together and whether the gravitational force between them would be enough to overcome the force of gravity from Earth. The speaker also questions their calculations using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. The expert summarizer concludes that the gravity on Earth is much stronger and the rings would not float in this scenario.
c.evans
We just started on a chapter about gravity in my physics class. I'm curious about this: If two rings of different radius and masses of, say, 3 kg and 2 kg, are placed inside each other so that their centers of mass are extremely close (i.e. 1.0 x 10^-9 m) together, would the gravitational force between the two objects be enough to overcome the gravitational force of earth, so that the smaller ring would float in midair within the larger ring? When I put these values into the equation for Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force between the two rings came out as 400.2 N, while the force of the weight of the smaller ring came out as 19.6 N. Is this possible, or am I using the equation the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. First, the gravity on Earth is much stronger than anything your rings would have. I don't know the exact amount, but your number seems absurdly hi for some reason.

Also, the rings would never float in your example anyways. Placing a ring inside another ring wouldn't do anything. The inside ring would feel no net force in any direction to the larger ring.

Related to Can the Law of Universal Gravitation Override Earth's Gravity?

What is the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is a fundamental principle of physics that explains the gravitational force between objects. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He developed the theory by observing the motion of objects on Earth and the movement of planets in our solar system.

How does the Law of Universal Gravitation apply to objects on Earth?

The Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, including those on Earth. The force of gravity between two objects on Earth, such as a person and the Earth, is determined by their masses and the distance between them. This force is what keeps objects on Earth from floating away into space.

Does the Law of Universal Gravitation only apply to large objects?

No, the Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects, regardless of their size. However, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses, so larger objects will have a stronger gravitational attraction than smaller objects.

Is the Law of Universal Gravitation still relevant today?

Yes, the Law of Universal Gravitation is still relevant and widely used in modern physics. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets and stars to the formation of galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astronomy, space exploration, and satellite technology.