Can the Exponential Power Series Be Defined Without a Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of an exponential power series and the existence of a function that represents it. The theorem states that the derivative of the function is equal to the original function, leading to the conclusion that the function is equal to its derivative. The conversation also mentions the use of $s(1)=e$ and the possibility of defining the function through logarithms. It is noted that $s(0)=1$ and it is not the case that $s(x)=0$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :cool:

I am looking at the exponential power series:

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$$

It is $R=\displaystyle{\frac{1}{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sup \sqrt[n]{|a_n|}}}=\frac{1}{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sup \sqrt[n]{n!}}=+\infty$

So,the power series converges at $(-\infty,+\infty)$,so $\exists s(x): \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } \displaystyle{s(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}, x \in \mathbb{R}$

$(*)\displaystyle{ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{1}{n^!}x^{n-1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}$

According to a theorem: $$s'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{1}{n^!}x^{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}, x \in \mathbb{R}$$

So, $s(x)=s'(x), x \in \mathbb{R}$.In my notes,they continue,defining $f(x)=e^{-x} s(x),x \in \mathbb{R}$ and they conclude that $f(x)=c, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}$

Then,using the fact that $s(1)=e$,they conclude that $s(x)=e^x, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}$.

Instead of defining a function, could I do it like that: $$s'(x)=s(x) \Rightarrow \frac{s'(x)}{s(x)}=1 \Rightarrow ln|s(x)|=x+c \Rightarrow s(x)=Ce^x$$ ??

Or isn't it possible,because we don't know if it is $s(x)=0$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! :cool:

I am looking at the exponential power series:

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$$

It is $R=\displaystyle{\frac{1}{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sup \sqrt[n]{|a_n|}}}=\frac{1}{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sup \sqrt[n]{n!}}=+\infty$

So,the power series converges at $(-\infty,+\infty)$,so $\exists s(x): \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } \displaystyle{s(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}, x \in \mathbb{R}$

$(*)\displaystyle{ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{1}{n^!}x^{n-1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}$

According to a theorem: $$s'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{1}{n^!}x^{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}, x \in \mathbb{R}$$

So, $s(x)=s'(x), x \in \mathbb{R}$.In my notes,they continue,defining $f(x)=e^{-x} s(x),x \in \mathbb{R}$ and they conclude that $f(x)=c, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}$

Then,using the fact that $s(1)=e$,they conclude that $s(x)=e^x, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}$.

Instead of defining a function, could I do it like that: $$s'(x)=s(x) \Rightarrow \frac{s'(x)}{s(x)}=1 \Rightarrow ln|s(x)|=x+c \Rightarrow s(x)=Ce^x$$ ??

Or isn't it possible,because we don't know if it is $s(x)=0$ ?

Hi! :D

Yes, that is also possible.
And well... it is not the case that $s(x)=0$. :eek:

But we do have that $s(0)=1$! (Angel)
That follows because $\lim\limits_{x \to 0} x^0 = 1$.

I like Serena said:
Hi! :D

Yes, that is also possible.
And well... it is not the case that $s(x)=0$. :eek:

But we do have that $s(0)=1$! (Angel)
That follows because $\lim\limits_{x \to 0} x^0 = 1$.

I understand...Thank you very much! :)

Related to Can the Exponential Power Series Be Defined Without a Function?

1. What is an exponential power series?

An exponential power series is a mathematical representation of an exponential function in the form of a polynomial. It is an infinite series that can be used to approximate the value of an exponential function at any point.

2. How is an exponential power series different from a regular polynomial?

An exponential power series includes terms with exponents that increase by a constant ratio, while a regular polynomial has exponents that increase by a constant amount. This allows the exponential power series to represent exponential growth or decay, while a polynomial can only represent linear or polynomial growth.

3. What is the general formula for an exponential power series?

The general formula for an exponential power series is given by: ∑(n=0 to ∞) (a_n(x - c)^n)/n!, where a_n represents the coefficient of the nth term, x is the variable, and c is the center of the series. This formula can be used to find the value of the exponential function at any given point.

4. How do you determine the convergence of an exponential power series?

The convergence of an exponential power series is determined by the radius of convergence, which is given by the formula: R = 1/lim sup |a_n|^(1/n). If the value of R is greater than 0, the series will converge. If R = 0, the series will converge only at the center. If R = ∞, the series will converge for all values of x.

5. What are some real-life applications of exponential power series?

Exponential power series are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and economics to model exponential growth or decay. They can also be used to approximate complex functions and solve differential equations. Additionally, they have applications in signal processing, digital image processing, and data compression.