Can the Biot Savart law be used in a medium where the permeability changes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot Savart law to calculate the magnetic field strength inside a solenoid. It is mentioned that the addition of an iron sphere to the solenoid will not affect the field strength when calculated using the Biot Savart law. However, it is noted that this may not be accurate as the presence of the iron can impact the field strength and direction in the surrounding air. The conversation concludes that the Biot Savart law should not be used in a medium where the permeability changes, as it is derived from Poisson's equation with a uniform permeability.
jim4444
Say I use the Biot Savart law to calculate the magnetic field strength at a single point somewhere inside solenoid. I record this value. Then I add an iron sphere to the inside my solenoid very close to but not touching the point just calcuated. If I were to recalcuate the field strength at this same point I will get the same value as before because the iron is not included in the integration. Intutivaly this will not be correct because the iron will effect the field strength and direction in the air around it. What am I missing here ? Is it that I we not use the Biot Savart law in a medium where the permittivity changes ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that since Biot-Savart comes from the solution of Poisson's equation (with some curl of A and some manipulations), the permeability has to be uniform. This is how you get Poisson's equation in magnetostatics

[tex]\nabla^2 A=-\mu J[/tex]

M.

The Biot-Savart law gives the B field in vacuo or in a medium of uniform permeability. Your example has two parts: air (or vacuum) and iron. Hence, you shouldn't use the Biot-Savart law.

That is what I suspected. Thanks for the info.

Your intuition is correct - the addition of an iron sphere into the solenoid will indeed affect the magnetic field strength and direction at the point where you calculated it using the Biot Savart law. This is because the Biot Savart law assumes that the medium through which the magnetic field is passing is vacuum, or has a constant permeability. When the permeability of the medium changes, such as when an iron object is introduced, the Biot Savart law is no longer applicable.

In order to accurately calculate the magnetic field in this scenario, you would need to take into account the magnetic properties of the iron sphere and incorporate them into your calculations. This can be done using the Ampere's law, which takes into account the magnetic permeability of the medium through which the field is passing.

In short, the Biot Savart law is only applicable in certain situations and cannot be used in a medium where the permeability changes. It is important to consider the properties of the medium when using any mathematical model or law in scientific calculations.

Related to Can the Biot Savart law be used in a medium where the permeability changes?

What is the Biot Savart law?

The Biot Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the position vector from the point to the current.

How does the Biot Savart law apply to an iron ball?

The Biot Savart law can be applied to an iron ball by considering the iron ball as a collection of infinitesimal current loops. These current loops will produce a magnetic field, and the overall magnetic field of the iron ball can be calculated by integrating the contributions from each of the current loops using the Biot Savart law.

What is the significance of an iron ball in relation to the Biot Savart law?

The iron ball serves as an example of how the Biot Savart law can be applied to a three-dimensional object. It also demonstrates how the magnetic field produced by a current can be affected by the shape and material of an object.

How does the Biot Savart law differ from Ampere's law?

The Biot Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a steady current, while Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a steady current or a changing electric field. Ampere's law also incorporates the concept of displacement current, which is not included in the Biot Savart law.

What are some real-world applications of the Biot Savart law?

The Biot Savart law is used in a variety of applications, including the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, the Biot Savart law is essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, which is crucial in fields such as particle accelerators and plasma physics.