Can Snell's Law Be Derived by Passing to a Moving Frame?

In summary, the relativistic Snell's law is not applicable in cases where the media are not in relative motion. However, in cases of refraction across a boundary where one medium is moving, relativity predicts significant modifications to the standard Snell's law. There is no proper time or frame for a photon, making the concept of a relativistic Snell's law redundant. Attempts to derive a refraction law by passing to a moving frame are complex and may require concepts from general relativity. The link provided in the conversation offers a detailed explanation of these issues.
jk22
Is the relativistic Snell's law : $$\frac {sin\theta_1}{sin\theta_2}=\frac {c_2}{c_1}\sqrt {\frac {c^2-c_2^2}{c^2-c_1^2}} $$ ? OR where could I check this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativistic in what sense?

Last edited:
Relativity would only come into play if media have relative motion along a refraction boundary. In that case, the following link describes the issues:

http://mathpages.com/rr/s2-08/2-08.htm

Relativistic in the sense of local time of the photon through the medium not motion of the medium.

If the medium is not moving, then it's just the standard Snell's law. Light is always relativistic, so the idea of a relativistic Snell's law is redundant.

jk22 said:
Relativistic in the sense of local time of the photon through the medium not motion of the medium.
There is no proper time or frame applicable to a photon (or light in general). See our FAQ linked below. Thus, this question is meaningless. The question of refraction across a refraction boundary where one one medium is moving relative to the other is, on the other hand, a very meaningful question for which relativity predicts significant modifications to Snell's law, as noted in my prior post.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rest-frame-of-a-photon.511170/

Likes Battlemage! and vanhees71
Indeed my question was not very clear :

So it is impossible to find the refraction law for a particle (not forcedly a photon) moving at speed c1 then c2 by passing to the frame 1 and then 2 computing the minimum and then come back to the rest frame of the interface ?

Trying to do the latter I came across : the following formula $$\frac{tan(\theta_1)}{tan(\theta_2)}\sqrt{\frac{1+(1-c_2^2/c^2)tan(\theta_2)^2}{1+(1-c_1^2/c^2)tan(\theta_1)^2}}=\frac{c_1}{c_2}$$

Which does not give Snell's law back. I then thought that it is because it lacks a point like infinite acceleration at the interface. Hence doing this problem would need an accelerated frame with a continuous acceleration and then take the limit of the time of the acceleration to zero ? Then computing the minimal time in the moving frame would need the covariant derivative (concept of General relativity).

So I suppose finding Snell's law by passing to a moving frame is simply impossible due to a to high complexity.

jk22 said:
Indeed my question was not very clear :

So it is impossible to find the refraction law for a particle (not forcedly a photon) moving at speed c1 then c2 by passing to the frame 1 and then 2 computing the minimum and then come back to the rest frame of the interface ?

Trying to do the latter I came across : the following formula $$\frac{tan(\theta_1)}{tan(\theta_2)}\sqrt{\frac{1+(1-c_2^2/c^2)tan(\theta_2)^2}{1+(1-c_1^2/c^2)tan(\theta_1)^2}}=\frac{c_1}{c_2}$$

Which does not give Snell's law back. I then thought that it is because it lacks a point like infinite acceleration at the interface. Hence doing this problem would need an accelerated frame with a continuous acceleration and then take the limit of the time of the acceleration to zero ? Then computing the minimal time in the moving frame would need the covariant derivative (concept of General relativity).

So I suppose finding Snell's law by passing to a moving frame is simply impossible due to a to high complexity.

Look at the second derivation in the link I gave earlier (the whole link is well worth reading if you want to understand these issues). It basically does what you are looking for, and it is indeed complex. I am curious why you don't seem to have paid any attention to this link. Note also, as noted in the link, that index of refraction and speed in media are inversely related; thus the whole of the derivations and formulas can be recast in terms of media speed if you like that better than index of refraction.

Related to Can Snell's Law Be Derived by Passing to a Moving Frame?

1. What is Relativistic Snell's law?

Relativistic Snell's law is a formula that describes how light bends at the interface between two different materials. It takes into account the effects of both relativity and the change in light speed as it moves through different materials.

2. How is Relativistic Snell's law different from the traditional Snell's law?

The traditional Snell's law only takes into account the change in light speed as it moves through different materials, while Relativistic Snell's law also considers the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

3. What does Relativistic Snell's law tell us about light?

Relativistic Snell's law tells us that light will bend towards the direction where it travels slower, and that the angle of refraction is dependent on the relative speeds of light in the two different materials.

4. What are the applications of Relativistic Snell's law?

Relativistic Snell's law is useful in understanding the behavior of light in different materials, such as in fiber optics and lenses. It is also important in the field of astrophysics, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account when studying the bending of light in space.

5. Can Relativistic Snell's law be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, Relativistic Snell's law can be applied to any type of wave, not just light. It can be used to describe the behavior of other electromagnetic waves, as well as sound waves and water waves.