Can Limits to Infinity Prove a Zero Derivative Over the Reals?

In summary, The conversation discusses how to prove that the derivative of a curvature function over the reals will always converge to zero, given the limit of the function itself is also zero at positive and negative infinity. The person also mentions that they have already proved the convergence of the curvature function to zero and now need to prove the same for its derivative.
JPBenowitz
Suppose I have

limt[itex]\rightarrow∞[/itex] f(g(t)) = 0

and

limt[itex]\rightarrow-∞[/itex] f(g(t)) = 0

How would I prove [itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex][itex]_{|}\Re[/itex] = 0? (over the reals)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question doesn't make sense. Could you provide some context?

theorem4.5.9 said:
This question doesn't make sense. Could you provide some context?

I'm having problems displaying what I want to convey. Basically I proved that the limit for the curvature function will always converge to zero for any real continuous function and now I want to prove that the derivative with respect to time will always converge to zero.

So, essentially I need to prove that the integral over the reals of the curvature function will always converge to some constant.

deleted

To prove that \frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re = 0, we can use the limit to derivative proof. First, we know that:

\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty} f(g(t)) = 0

This means that as t approaches infinity, the function f(g(t)) approaches 0. Similarly, we also know that:

\lim_{t\rightarrow-\infty} f(g(t)) = 0

This means that as t approaches negative infinity, the function f(g(t)) also approaches 0.

Now, we can use the definition of the derivative to find \frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re:

\frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re = \lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f(g(t+h)) - f(g(t))}{h}

Since we are interested in the limit as t approaches infinity or negative infinity, we can substitute in \infty or -\infty for t in the above equation. This gives us:

\frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re = \lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f(g(\infty+h)) - f(g(\infty))}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f(g(-\infty+h)) - f(g(-\infty))}{h}

Since we know that both f(g(\infty)) and f(g(-\infty)) are equal to 0, we can simplify the above equation to:

\frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re = \lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{0 - 0}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0} 0 = 0

Therefore, we have proven that \frac{df}{dt}_{|}\Re = 0, which means that the derivative of f with respect to t at any point on the real number line is equal to 0. This holds true for any real number, including infinity and negative infinity, which is what we were trying to prove.

Related to Can Limits to Infinity Prove a Zero Derivative Over the Reals?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.

2. How do you find the limit of a derivative?

To find the limit of a derivative, you must first take the derivative of the function and then take the limit as the independent variable approaches a specific value. This can be done using various methods such as the definition of a derivative or through the use of rules such as the power rule or chain rule.

3. Why is the limit to derivative proof important?

The limit to derivative proof is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function and to make predictions about its behavior.

4. What are some real-life applications of the limit to derivative proof?

The limit to derivative proof has many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to determine marginal cost and revenue, and in engineering to design optimal structures and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the limit to derivative proof?

Yes, there are limitations to the limit to derivative proof. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable at a given point. Additionally, the limit to derivative may not exist at certain points or may result in undefined values, which can limit its applicability.