Can I desgn a rotating disc without using a centre shaft

In summary, yes, it is possible to spin a disc with a hole in the center without using a rotating center shaft. This can be achieved through attaching a rim to either the inside or outside of the wheel and using a supporting structure. Examples of this can be seen in bicycle wheels. When spinning the disc horizontally, three or more rollers can be used with one or more driven to provide spin. In the case of the ride design, the outer and inner layers spin in the same direction while the middle layer spins in the opposite direction. To spin the outer and middle layers, a driver can be placed in the supporting structure. It is also possible to use a large planetary gear, but it would need to be suspended in mid-air to rotate
jeredane
Is it possbile to spin a disc that has a hole in the centre like normal DVDs but without using a rotating centre shaft that is passing through the hole?

The spining disc has to be supported too by a structure. Is there any mechanism to recommend?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible. There are a number of ways to do this, but it all comes down to a rim attached to either the inside of the hole or the outside of the wheel. This rim slides through the supporting structure.

Some practical examples, demonstrated on bicycle wheels:
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/11207/hubless-spokeless-bicycle-wheel-compilation.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.. THanks for the reply!

How about if the disc is being spin horizontally? is there anyway of supporting the disc without the centre shaft?

Three or more rollers around the rim with one or more driven to provide spin.

The following picture is a ride that i have design. the outer and the inner layers spin in the same direction and the middle layer spin in the opposite direction. how can i spin the outer layer of the ride and the middle layer of the ride? where can i place the driver?

If i were to use a planetary gear that is very big is it possible? Is there anyway to supend the gears in mid air and let it rotate?

Attachments

• Ride.jpg
    Ride.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 444

Related to Can I desgn a rotating disc without using a centre shaft

1. Can a rotating disc be designed without using a center shaft?

Yes, a rotating disc can be designed without using a center shaft. This is known as an "off-center" or "eccentric" disc design. It involves placing the axis of rotation off-center, typically towards the edge of the disc.

2. What are the benefits of designing a rotating disc without a center shaft?

One benefit is that it can reduce the overall weight of the disc, making it more efficient for certain applications. Additionally, an off-center design can provide unique rotational movements and patterns, making it useful for specialized purposes.

3. Are there any limitations to designing a rotating disc without a center shaft?

Yes, there are some limitations to this type of design. For one, the disc may be less stable and more prone to wobbling or vibrating. This can be mitigated by carefully balancing the disc and using appropriate materials. Additionally, the off-center design may not be suitable for all types of rotational motion, such as high speeds or heavy loads.

4. What industries or applications commonly use rotating discs without center shafts?

Some industries that commonly use off-center rotating discs include aerospace, automotive, and robotics. These designs can also be found in specialized equipment for manufacturing, research, and entertainment purposes.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a rotating disc without a center shaft?

Some important factors to consider include the desired rotational speed, the weight and balance of the disc, the materials used, and the intended purpose or application. It may also be necessary to conduct testing and make adjustments to achieve the desired performance and stability.