Can G-Force and Displacement Predict Fuel Consumption in a Turning Car?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical relationship between g-force and displacement of fuel or water in a moving vehicle, specifically in a right-hand turn. The solution involves drawing a triangle and calculating the angle of the g-forces. The conversation also mentions the simplicity and complexity of the concept, and the suggestion to read reference books for further understanding.
ca2n
hi..just discovered this forum..very nice indeed..i was wondering if somebody could help me on something here..imagine that a car is traveling at 50km/h through a 90-degree right-hand turn..my question is is there any mathematical relation relating how much the g-force he encounters and the "displacement" of fuel in the fuel tank..or water that is half-full in a water bottle..tq..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a simple matter of drawing a triangle witht he two g-forces as two legs and computing the resulting angle.

so, the resulting angle is the angle at which the top surface of the water is tilted? what are the two g-forces? the ones acting on the car?

Right. So, for example, if the lateral g-force on the car is .5, the angle is atan (.5/1)=26.6 degrees.

Neat, thanks Rus. Never thought of that. Simple and elegant.

wow..simple and complicated at the same time..i was also wondering if you any reference books in particular regarding this topic..i guess i need to catch up on my reading..

Related to Can G-Force and Displacement Predict Fuel Consumption in a Turning Car?

What is G-force?

G-force is a measure of the force of acceleration on an object. It is represented as a multiple of the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared).

How is G-force measured?

G-force is typically measured using an accelerometer, which is a device that can detect changes in acceleration and convert them into an electrical signal.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. It can also be calculated using the formula d = v * t, where d is displacement, v is velocity, and t is time.

What is the relationship between G-force and displacement?

G-force and displacement are related through the concept of acceleration. G-force is a measure of acceleration, and displacement is the result of acceleration. Therefore, the greater the G-force, the greater the displacement of an object.