Can destructive interference cause energy loss and how can it be regained?

In summary, destructive interference does not result in the loss of energy. The energy is simply directed elsewhere in the form of peaks in the interference pattern. To "get back" the energy, one must find these peaks. Energy is conserved in all experiences on earth, but its usefulness can easily be lost.
Daniel Petka
This is a really silly question and its bugging me. Do I lose energy through destructive interference? If not... then how can I get back what I invested before?

Thanks, hope I understand the waves soon :)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Energy is conserved. In all experiences you'll have on this earth, you can bank on that certainty.

However, the usefulness of energy in the forms you want it can easily be lost.

You'll have to me more specific about what you're doing and whay you mean by getting it back for us to provide a better answer to your question.

Well, getting it back in sense of absorbtion. Does the destructive interference simply penetrade matter?

OK, consider sound waves, or light waves, or radio waves in air.

Two sounds moving forward can interfere constructively at one point, then destructively further away, and constructively further on. The interference does not create or destroy energy. Ditto for radio or light.

One or more waves hitting a surface can be absorbed or reflected, or any combination of absorption/reflection. The energy of absorbed waves turns into heat. The energy of reflected waves is carried away in the reflection. Interference between multiple waves doesn't change that.

Thanks, makes asense

Daniel Petka said:
This is a really silly question and its bugging me. Do I lose energy through destructive interference? If not... then how can I get back what I invested before?

Thanks, hope I understand the waves soon :)
The energy has just been directed somewhere else, away from the nulls into the peaks of the interference pattern. You can 'get it back' when you find those peaks. If you ever go to the trouble of adding up the total energy in an interference pattern, you will get the same answer as adding the energy from both sources. (Personally, I accept that Energy is conserved)

Likes Daniel Petka
Ty

Related to Can destructive interference cause energy loss and how can it be regained?

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves with opposite amplitudes and frequencies meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the resulting wave. This can occur with all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves.

What causes destructive interference?

Destructive interference is caused by the superposition of two or more waves that are out of phase with each other. This means that the peaks and troughs of the waves do not align, resulting in a cancellation of energy and a decrease in amplitude.

How does destructive interference differ from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is the opposite of constructive interference, which occurs when two or more waves with the same amplitude and frequency meet and combine to create a larger amplitude wave. In destructive interference, the waves cancel each other out, while in constructive interference, they reinforce each other.

What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

Destructive interference can be observed in many natural and man-made phenomena. For example, when two speakers playing the same sound are placed facing each other, the sound waves they produce can interfere and cancel each other out in certain areas, resulting in quiet spots. Another example is the rainbow colors seen on the surface of a DVD, which are created by destructive interference of light waves.

How is destructive interference used in practical applications?

Destructive interference is used in various practical applications, such as noise-cancelling headphones, which use destructive interference to cancel out external noises. It is also used in acoustics to design concert halls and recording studios, where destructive interference can be manipulated to create better sound quality and clarity.