Can anyone tell me what this is?

• Thread starter Sean D Mcandrews
  • Start date
In summary, a vintage piece of equipment was found in a science lab and the owner is unsure of its purpose. It appears to be related to optics and may be from the 1960s. Suggestions were made to contact Fisher Scientific or look into the Hartl Optical Disk.
Sean D Mcandrews
I found this piece of equipment in my lab. Based on the age of the science lab, and the equipment it was with, I'm guessing that its from the '60s maybe? Can anyone tell me what it is and was used for?
0127160911.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
Looks like it might be for ray tracing through optics. Do you have HeNe lasers in the lab as well?

We have a laser, but its much newer. This thing was stored by itself with no instructions or other parts

Does it have any vendor name or other labeling on it?

Stansi (made in the USA)

You could try contacting Fisher Scientific, which acquired Stansi Scientific, back in '67. I thought it might be an optics item as well because of the shapes that look like converging and diverging lenses.

I tried contacting Fisher a year or so ago, and I got a nice person who was of no help. My best guess was optics-related too. Thank you.

Related to Can anyone tell me what this is?

1. What is the purpose of asking "Can anyone tell me what this is?"

The purpose of asking this question is to seek help in identifying an unknown object or item.

2. How do I know if the responses I receive are accurate?

It is always best to verify the information you receive from others by doing your own research and seeking multiple opinions.

3. Is it better to ask this question in a specific or general forum?

It depends on the context of the unknown item. If it is related to a specific topic, a specialized forum may provide more accurate and helpful responses. Otherwise, a general forum may also be a good place to start.

4. What should I include in my question to get the most accurate response?

Be sure to provide clear and detailed information about the item, such as its appearance, any markings or labels, and where and how you obtained it.

5. How can I show my appreciation to those who help me identify the item?

A simple thank you message or upvote can go a long way in showing your appreciation for those who take the time to help you. Additionally, you can also offer to share your own knowledge or expertise with them in return.