Can Air Conditioners Power Jetpacks?

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a jetpack using air conditioner-like power sources to create a vortex that can push a person off the ground. However, there is disagreement on the efficiency of this method compared to shooting exhaust straight down.
nst.john
I saw a working jetpack shown on a tv show on the science channel and it got me thinking how exactly we can make the perfect jetpack. I came up with an idea. AIR CONDITIONERS! Bear with me, just as how a tornado is a vortex of cold and warm winds and can have all that speed and strength, we can make our own vortex using air conditioner-like power sources, cooling the air and then coming out of a hole making a vortex, like smoke makes a vortex when hit out of a drum.

Physics news on Phys.org
How's this vortex going to push you up?

The vortex will be shooting down first pushing you off the ground, then colliding with air molecules to keep you rising.

I'm not sure, but I think just shooting exhaust straight down is more efficient than trying to make a vortex. You're using up a lot of energy to make this vortex only to have most of its energy be in the direction of rotation and not pushing you anywhere.

That makes more sense.

Related to Can Air Conditioners Power Jetpacks?

1. How does a jetpack work?

A jetpack works by using a fuel source, typically a liquid fuel like hydrogen, to create a controlled explosion. This explosion propels the user in the opposite direction, providing thrust and lift.

2. What are the main components of a jetpack?

The main components of a jetpack include a fuel source, a combustion chamber where the fuel is ignited, a nozzle to direct the exhaust, and a control mechanism to regulate the flow of fuel and direction of thrust.

3. How much weight can a jetpack lift?

The weight that a jetpack can lift depends on the size and power of the jetpack and the strength of the user. Most commercially available jetpacks can lift around 200-300 pounds, but some larger and more powerful models can lift up to 1000 pounds.

4. What type of fuel is used in jetpacks?

Jetpacks can use a variety of fuels, but the most common type is liquid hydrogen. Other options include kerosene, propane, and methanol. The type of fuel used can affect the performance and safety of the jetpack.

5. Are jetpacks safe?

Jetpacks can be safe if used properly and maintained correctly. However, they do carry inherent risks due to the use of combustible fuels and the potential for mechanical failures. It is important for users to receive proper training and follow safety protocols when operating a jetpack.