Can Absolute Velocity be Measured with Cosmic Background Radiation?

In summary: So, in summary, the CMB is often used as a convenient frame of reference for measuring relative velocities, but it does not hold any fundamental significance in physical law as an absolute frame of reference. Its uniformity and smoothness when it was generated make it useful for mundane issues like relative motion in the universe.
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

I have heard that one can not know one's absolute velocity, only one's velocity relative to other objects.

But wouldn't the cosmic background radiation be blueshifted in the direction of motion and redshifted in the oposite direction?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org

CosmicVoyager said:
I have heard that one can not know one's absolute velocity, only one's velocity relative to other objects.
You misunderstand: there is no such thing as absolute velocity. So:
But wouldn't the cosmic background radiation be blueshifted in the direction of motion and redshifted in the oposite direction?
Yes, but then you'd just be choosing the CMB as your frame of reference and measuring velocity with respect to it. The CMB is not an absolute frame of reference.

russ_watters said:
"But wouldn't the cosmic background radiation be blueshifted in the direction of motion and redshifted in the oposite direction?"
Yes, but then you'd just be choosing the CMB as your frame of reference and measuring velocity with respect to it. The CMB is not an absolute frame of reference.

Hmm. I don't see why not. I mean the universe started at a point expanded in every direction, radiated the CMB, and has continued to expand since then. It seems obvious to me that it is. I wonder what other's think? I would expect there to be disagreement on this.

Maybe I should ask why isn't it? I can say why other objects can't be used as a reference: because their speeds and directions have changed countless ways since the big bang and we don't know what those changes were. The CMB's has not. It has just been stretched out to a longer wavelength. So why isn't it?

Last edited:

An absolute frame of reference is one that would hold special significance in physical law, such as having the speed of light be constant only wrt that frame. The CMB has no such special significance.

Last edited:

CosmicVoyager said:
Hmm. I don't see why not. I mean the universe started at a point expanded in every direction, radiated the CMB, and has continued to expand since then. It seems obvious to me that it is. I wonder what other's think? I would expect there to be disagreement on this.
The universe did not begin at a point. This is a common misconception about the big bang.
Maybe I should ask why isn't it? I can say why other objects can't be used as a reference: because their speeds and directions have changed countless ways since the big bang and we don't know what those changes were. The CMB's has not. It has just been stretched out to a longer wavelength. So why isn't it?
You are providing reasons for why the rest frame of the CMB is a convenient frame against which to measure relative velocities. Indeed, as observers comoving with the expansion, this is the frame we use when we talk about the age of the universe, and other frame-dependent quantities. However, you seem to be suggesting that the CMB be treated as a fundamental rest frame. As Russ says above, as an 'absolute' frame of reference, the constancy of the speed of light wrt to all inertial frames would be called into question. Are you suggesting that this be the case? If not, then really what's the difference between what you are advocating and the fact that the rest frame of the CMB is simply a convenient one in which to make measurements? Keep in mind that the CMB wasn't always in existence, and when it was generated it wasn't generated at exactly the same time everywhere in the universe.

Last edited:

I would take minor issue with that, bapowell. I believe the CMB was incredibly smooth and uniform when it formed. That is what WMAP studies suggest. As such, it does make a convenient reference point for mundane issues like relative motion in the universe.

Chronos said:
I would take minor issue with that, bapowell. I believe the CMB was incredibly smooth and uniform when it formed. That is what WMAP studies suggest. As such, it does make a convenient reference point for mundane issues like relative motion in the universe.
I conclude the same in my post. What exactly do you take issue with? I mention that the CMB wasn't generated simultaneously everywhere in the universe simply to point out that it can't be a perfect, fundamental, absolute frame. The difference in decoupling times across the universe is obviously not sufficient to affect the smoothness and uniformity of the CMB, which I agree with.

Related to Can Absolute Velocity be Measured with Cosmic Background Radiation?

1. What is cosmic background radiation?

Cosmic background radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that pervades the entire universe. It is a remnant of the Big Bang and is the oldest light in the universe.

2. How can cosmic background radiation be used to measure absolute velocity?

The cosmic background radiation is isotropic, meaning it is the same in all directions. However, due to the Earth's motion around the sun and the sun's motion in the Milky Way, the radiation appears slightly Doppler shifted depending on the observer's velocity. By analyzing the frequency and direction of the cosmic background radiation, scientists can calculate the absolute velocity of the observer.

3. Is cosmic background radiation the only way to measure absolute velocity?

No, there are other methods of measuring absolute velocity, such as using the Doppler effect on light from distant galaxies or analyzing the motion of objects in the universe. However, cosmic background radiation is a reliable and consistent method that can be used to validate other measurements.

4. Can absolute velocity be measured accurately with cosmic background radiation?

Yes, scientists have been able to measure the absolute velocity of the Earth and the sun using cosmic background radiation with a high degree of accuracy. However, the precision of the measurement is limited by the sensitivity of the instruments and the level of background noise.

5. What are some potential applications of measuring absolute velocity with cosmic background radiation?

Measuring absolute velocity with cosmic background radiation can help scientists understand the dynamics of the universe, such as the expansion rate and the distribution of matter. It can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as more accurate navigation systems for spacecraft and satellites.