Can a Finite Set of Vectors Form a Subspace?

If you mean to interpret the columns of the matrix as vectors, then the first thing you should do is convert that matrix to a list of vectors. You should be able to do that by inspection.Second, you should realize that in addition to the vectors you are given, a subspace must contain all (linear) combinations of those vectors. That means that the vectors you are given must be independent. Are they? Can you form any other vectors using these three? (You should be able to by inspection.)Finally, if you can write the third vector as a linear combination of the first two, does that mean the third vector is not needed? Not necessarily. You need to ask what values of the
MienTommy

Homework Statement

\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Is this set a subspace of ℝ3

Homework Equations

The set must be closed under addition.
The set must be closed under multiplication.
The set must contain the zero vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. It obviously contains the zero vector (column 3)

2. \begin{pmatrix}
2\\
0\\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}

is a multiple of column 1.
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 2\\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

In order to check if this set contains the multiple of column 1, I set the 2 * column 1 equal to the matrix.

It row reduces to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Wouldn't this be closed under multiplication? Since this contains a solution?

3. Closed under addition
Column 2 + column 3 becomes
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
2\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}It row reduces to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

And wouldn't this be closed under addition? Since this contains a solution?

Edit: I have attached the problem and solution to the thread. I'm not sure how my teacher came across this solution.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MienTommy said:

Homework Statement

\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Is this set a subspace of ℝ3
This is not a set -- it's a matrix.

What is the actual question?
MienTommy said:

Homework Equations

The set must be closed under addition.
In other words, if you add any two members of the set, do you get another vector that is also in the set?
MienTommy said:
The set must be closed under multiplication.
If you multiply any of the members of the set by a scalar, do you get another vector that is also a member of the set?
MienTommy said:
The set must contain the zero vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. It obviously contains the zero vector (column 3)

2. \begin{pmatrix}
2\\
0\\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}
What you have below is mostly gibberish. You should focus more on the meanings of the definitions, and less on working with matrices that don't mean anything.
MienTommy said:
is a multiple of column 1.
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 2\\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

In order to check if this set contains the multiple of column 1, I set the 2 * column 1 equal to the matrix.

It row reduces to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Wouldn't this be closed under multiplication? Since this contains a solution?

3. Closed under addition
Column 2 + column 3 becomes
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
2\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}It row reduces to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

And wouldn't this be closed under addition? Since this contains a solution?

Mark44 said:
This is not a set -- it's a matrix.

What is the actual question?

I've attached the problem as an image to the OP. I'm not sure how my teacher came across the solution for this problem. It doesn't make sense to me because the span of that set is a subspace correct?

MienTommy said:
I've attached the problem as an image to the OP. I'm not sure how my teacher came across the solution for this problem. It doesn't make sense to me because the span of that set is a subspace correct?
I responded to what you posted before you edited your post.
The question you asked is very different from what is in the image.

In the image there are two parts. The first part asks whether the given three vectors form a basis for R3. The second part asks whether the given vectors are a subspace. In general, a finite set of vectors won't be a subspace of a vector space, because the axioms of closure under addition and closure under scalar multiplication won't be satisfied.

Likes MienTommy
As Mark44 said, you ask if a set is a subspace but do not give a set of vectors, you give a matrix. Do you mean to treat the columns of the matrix as vectors? The first thing you should realize is that a subspace necessarily contains an infinite number of vectors and this matrix only has a finite number of vectors. Looking at your attachment, there is no matrix but a list of vectors so you simply wrote that incorrectly. But it still is only a finite set and so cannot be a subspace.

Related to Can a Finite Set of Vectors Form a Subspace?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a smaller space within a larger space that follows specific rules.

2. How do I determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three conditions mentioned above. If it contains the zero vector, any two vectors in the set can be added together and the result will still be in the set, and any scalar multiple of a vector in the set will also be in the set, then it is a subspace.

3. What is the importance of knowing if a set is a subspace?

Knowing if a set is a subspace is important because it allows us to simplify complex vector spaces and make them more manageable. It also helps us to understand the properties and behaviors of vector spaces better.

4. Can a set be both a subspace and a vector space?

Yes, a set can be both a subspace and a vector space. A subspace is essentially a smaller vector space within a larger vector space. So if a set satisfies the conditions of a subspace, it also satisfies the conditions of a vector space.

5. Is every subset of a vector space a subspace?

No, not every subset of a vector space is a subspace. To be a subspace, a set must satisfy the three conditions mentioned earlier. If any of these conditions are not met, then the set is not a subspace.