Can a Finance Major Get into a Masters Program in Applied Mathematics?

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to get accepted into a masters degree in Applied Mathematics at a good university, despite having a finance major in their undergraduate studies. They have taken math electives and have a strong academic record, but are concerned about their university not being well-known. They also mention having funding from their government. The response advises them to research universities with strong math departments and look for scholarship opportunities.
dmi271
Hello

I'm new here. I've wanted to ask this for quite a while to someone but didn't know where to. You see, I made a mistake, I majored in finance during my undergrad education and now I want to do an MS in Applied Mathematics (or similar). Yes, I understand it should have been the other way around.

I´ve taken math electives during my studies, so I have Calc 1 & 2, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, Diff Equations, Game Theory (exchange semester in germany), Stats 1 & 2 and Econometrics. All A's

However, I also am a foreigner hailing from a rather unremarkable university (and that's being kind). Ranking top 20 in Mexico must mean as much academically as being able to read without moving my lips.

So my question is... is it even remotely possible I can get accepted at a MASTERS degree in a good university in Applied Mathematics? I've also been self studying really hard to take the subject GRE test in August or so. I graduate in December 2011. Can you recommend me any universities that seem like a match for me?

Funding is not a problem btw, my wise and glorious government is paying (my parents tax money at work... for a change)

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to get accepted into a masters degree in Applied Mathematics at a good university. However, it may be difficult depending on the university and the program you are applying to. You may need to demonstrate a strong academic record and a good GRE score in order to be accepted. Additionally, some universities may require additional coursework or other qualifications to be admitted. When researching potential universities, look for ones that have a strong reputation for their Mathematics departments and programs. You can also look for schools that offer tailored courses or research projects related to your interests. Additionally, you should research any available scholarship or funding opportunities available to help you pay for your education. Good luck!

Related to Can a Finance Major Get into a Masters Program in Applied Mathematics?

1. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Math Grad and BS in Finance?

There are a variety of career options for someone with a math and finance background. Some common roles include financial analyst, risk analyst, actuary, data analyst, and investment banker. These roles can be found in industries such as banking, finance, insurance, and consulting.

2. How does a degree in finance differ from a degree in mathematics?

A degree in finance focuses on the practical application of mathematical concepts to the business world, specifically in the areas of financial management, investments, and risk analysis. A degree in mathematics, on the other hand, focuses on the theoretical study of mathematical principles and their applications in various fields.

3. What skills are typically developed in a Math Grad with a BS in Finance program?

A math and finance degree program typically develops skills in quantitative analysis, problem-solving, critical thinking, financial modeling, and data analysis. Students also gain knowledge in financial theory and applications, as well as proficiency in using financial software and tools.

4. Is a Math Grad with a BS in Finance a good combination for graduate school?

Yes, this combination of degrees can be beneficial for graduate school. It provides a strong foundation in both mathematical and financial concepts, which can be useful in a variety of graduate programs such as finance, economics, business, and data science.

5. What are some potential challenges of pursuing a Math Grad with a BS in Finance?

Some potential challenges of this combination of degrees include the heavy workload and rigorous coursework, as well as the need to have strong analytical and mathematical skills. Additionally, the job market for these roles can be competitive, so graduates may need to be flexible in their job search and open to different industries and roles.