Can a Carry Be Greater Than 1 in Base 2?

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of carrying in different number bases, specifically focusing on the possibility of a carry greater than 1 in base 2 (binary). The group discusses how carrying works in unary (base 1) and binary (base 2) systems, with the consensus being that in base 2, the maximum carry can only be 1. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of converting numbers from one base to another.
exequor
Ok, I am currently taking a course where you have to draw state diagrams to represent functions in different bases. the function is [tex]2x_{1}+x_{2}[/tex]. When you add two numbers regardless of the base you have a sum (least significant digit) and a carry. Now in base one, is it possible to have a carry greater than "1" since all you are dealing with is "0"s and "1"s?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
exequor said:
Ok, I am currently taking a course where you have to draw state diagrams to represent functions in different bases. the function is 2(x1) + (x2). When you add two numbers regardless of the base you have a sum (least significant digit) and a carry. Now in base one, is it possible to have a carry greater than "1" since all you are dealing with is "0"s and "1"s?

You must mean base 2. In base one, you only have one digit, 0.

No, the carry is always a 1.

01 + 01 = 10. The carry was a "1" into the second slot.

I agree with Antiphon, I think you mean binary (base 2). I have not heard of a unary base being used.

Definition of unary base (from dictionary.com) - <data, humour> Base one. A number base with only one digit, namely zero, and which can therefore only be used to express the number zero. Attempting to add one to zero results in an infinite sequence of carries. Numbers in unary notation can be represented particularly efficiently however since each digit requires no storage.

Exequor, think of it this way. Do you ever carry anything larger than 9 in base 10 system? You know the answer of course, and we never carry 0 (duh) soooooo, there is only one thing in binary we ever carry and that is 1.

Oh yea, I meant base two. :D

The thing is the class is "digital logic" right, and using my own logic I know that there can not be a carry of "2" in base two. I mentioned it to the professor and he said that you can have a carry of any size... to me it is a matter of confusing bases and the way that we use them because I think that it is a base ten thing. I just had to ask the question here to ensure that I was not the only "stupid" person that thought the largest carry in base two is "1" and the highest carry in base five is "4".

If the function was [tex]3x_{1}+x_{2}[/tex] and you got something like 4 you convert that to base two... 100 your sum would be "0" and your carry would be "100" right?

Last edited:

Related to Can a Carry Be Greater Than 1 in Base 2?

1. Can a Carry Be Greater Than 1 in Base 1?

No, in base 1, there is only one symbol (1) to represent all quantities. Therefore, there is no possibility of having a carry value greater than 1.

2. Is Base 1 a Valid Number System?

Some mathematicians argue that base 1 is not a valid number system because it does not follow the traditional rules of place value and carries. However, others argue that it can be used as a theoretical concept in certain mathematical proofs.

3. How Does Carry Work in Base 1?

In base 1, there is only one symbol (1) to represent all quantities. Therefore, carry works by adding a "1" to the next place value when the current place value reaches its maximum value of 1.

4. Can Carry Exist in Other Number Systems?

Yes, carry can exist in any number system where the base is greater than 1. It is a fundamental concept in arithmetic and plays a crucial role in addition and other mathematical operations.

5. What Are Some Practical Applications of Base 1?

Base 1 is primarily used in theoretical mathematics and computer science. It can be used to prove certain mathematical concepts and algorithms, and it plays a role in the binary number system used in computing.