Calculating Wavelength of Surface Waves on a Lake

In summary, the problem states that there is a 2.5 meter separation between a trough and an adjacent crest on the surface of a lake. The question is whether this refers to a standing wave or a regular wave, and if it is enough information to find the wavelength. After discussing, it is determined that the 2.5 meter separation likely refers to a horizontal distance and the first idea of doubling this distance to find the wavelength is correct.
phys1618

Homework Statement

it's stated that 2.5meters separated a trough and an adjacent crest of surfae wave on a lke.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought if the trough to th crest is 2.5meters then i would double that to get the wavelenght from crest to crest. But then when I drew another wave picture, the 2.5 can be the amplitude? so that would make me taking half of the 2.5meters instead?? I think my problrm is not understanding what that statmnt is trying to say. I'm unsure if I would multiply 2.5m by two or divide by half. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
phys1618 said:
At first I thought if the trough to th crest is 2.5meters then i would double that to get the wavelenght from crest to crest.
That's how I interpreted the problem statement: The horizontal separation between trough and adjacent crest is 2.5 m. (But I admit that it is ambiguous.)

If 2.5 m is the vertical separation between those two points, then you would not be able to find the wavelength (which is what you are asked to find, right?).

yes, when i first read it, i thought i should double the 2.5m., but in the statemnt is it referrring it has a standing wave or regular wave? am i thinking too much into the problem? is it as simple as it sounds? =x
but you know, you are right, if 2.5 is the vertical separation between the two, I don't think i can find the wavelenght. so go with the first idea?
thank you for the help.

phys1618 said:
so go with the first idea?
Yes.

=) thank you for your help!

Related to Calculating Wavelength of Surface Waves on a Lake

1. What is wavelength?

Wavelength is a measure of the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs in a wave. It is typically represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and is measured in meters (m).

2. How do you calculate wavelength?

Wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. The equation for this is: λ = v/f, where λ is wavelength, v is the wave's speed, and f is its frequency.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: f = c/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is wavelength.

4. How do you measure wavelength?

Wavelength can be measured using different methods depending on the type of wave. For example, for light waves, it can be measured using a spectrometer or diffraction grating, while for sound waves, it can be measured using a ruler or by counting the number of wave cycles in a given distance.

5. What is the unit of measurement for wavelength?

The unit of measurement for wavelength is meters (m). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in other units such as nanometers (nm) for light waves or hertz (Hz) for sound waves.