Calculating variance of momentum infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the variance of momentum in an infinite square well between x=0 and x=a. The equation Var(p) = <p2> - <p>2 is used, with p = -i\hbar \frac{{\partial}}{\partial x}. The calculation of <p> is discussed first, followed by the calculation of <p^2>, which results in a factor of a/2 due to forgetting to normalize the eigenstates. This error is pointed out and acknowledged.
Robsta

Homework Statement

Work out the variance of momentum in the infinite square well that sits between x=0 and x=a

Homework Equations

Var(p) = <p2> - <p>2

$$ p = -i\hbar \frac{{\partial}}{\partial x} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated (and understand physically) why <p> = 0

Now I'm calculating $$<p^2> = \int_{0}^{a} sin(\frac{nπx}a)(-\hbar^2)\frac{{\partial}^2}{\partial x^2}sin(\frac{nπx}a) dx$$

$$<p^2> = ({\frac{n\pi\hbar}{a}})^2 \int_{0}^{a} sin(\frac{nπx}a)sin(\frac{nπx}a) dx$$

$$ <p^2> = ({\frac{n\pi\hbar}{a}})^2 * \frac{a}2 $$

I'm out here by a factor of a/2 because of the integral and I'm not sure why, does anybody have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to normalise your eigenstates.

Oh yes, that's exactly right, thanks very much. Was staring at this for ages, much appreciated :)

Related to Calculating variance of momentum infinite square well

Q: What is the formula for calculating the variance of momentum in an infinite square well?

The formula for calculating the variance of momentum in an infinite square well is σp² = (1/3)(pmax² - pmin²), where σp is the variance of momentum, pmax is the maximum momentum, and pmin is the minimum momentum.

Q: How do you determine the maximum and minimum momentum in an infinite square well?

The maximum and minimum momentum in an infinite square well are determined by the boundaries of the well, which are typically denoted as L and 0, respectively. The maximum momentum, pmax, is equal to h/λ, where h is Planck's constant and λ is the wavelength of the particle. The minimum momentum, pmin, is equal to 0.

Q: What is the physical significance of the variance of momentum in an infinite square well?

The variance of momentum in an infinite square well represents the spread or uncertainty in the momentum of a particle confined within the well. It is a measure of how much the momentum of the particle varies from its average value within the well.

Q: How does the variance of momentum change as the size of the infinite square well increases?

As the size of the infinite square well increases, the variance of momentum also increases. This is because a larger well allows for more possible momentum values, resulting in a greater spread of momentum values and thus a larger variance.

Q: Can the variance of momentum in an infinite square well ever be negative?

No, the variance of momentum in an infinite square well cannot be negative. This is because by definition, variance is a non-negative quantity that measures the spread or variability of a set of data. It is physically impossible for the variance to be negative in this scenario.