Calculating Torque and Strength of Materials

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem and work related to calculating torque, with the use of images provided for reference. The person is unsure if they have correctly solved the problem and wishes for a way to check their work. A suggestion is made to check the torque calculation and a rule of thumb for comparison is also mentioned.
thspoq2
Im including a scan of the problem and my work, please let me know if I did this right. Sorry about the sloppy handwriting.
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6521/strengthsproblem3rk.th.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8866/strengthsworkedout1rw.th.jpg

strengthsproblem.jpg

strengthsworkedout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Link don't work

cyrusabdollahi said:
Link don't work

Fixed, thanks

Nobody? Am atleast on the right track? I wish there was a way to check these sort of problems.

You might check your torque calculation. Using the numbers you are using, the equation should be (torque will be in ft-Lbf): [tex]P = \frac{T \omega}{5252}[/tex]

I would do a quick and dirty compare using a rule of thumb based on distortion energy

[tex]T = \frac{\pi d^3}{16}(.58 S_y)[/tex]

I think you've got the right idea though.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Torque and Strength of Materials

1. What is the definition of strength of materials?

The strength of materials is a branch of engineering mechanics that studies the behavior of solid objects subject to stresses and strains. It involves analyzing the internal forces and deformations of materials under different loading conditions, and determining their ability to withstand external forces without failure or deformation.

2. What are the basic concepts of strength of materials?

The basic concepts of strength of materials include stress, strain, and their relationship to each other. Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. Other important concepts include elasticity, plasticity, and yield strength.

3. How is the strength of a material determined?

The strength of a material is determined by conducting various tests, such as tensile tests, compression tests, and shear tests. These tests measure the physical properties of the material, such as its yield strength, ultimate strength, and modulus of elasticity. The results of these tests are used to determine the material's ability to withstand different types of loads and forces.

4. What are the main factors that affect the strength of materials?

The main factors that affect the strength of materials include the type of material, its composition and structure, the type of loading or force applied, and the environment in which the material is used. Other factors that can affect strength include temperature, time, and manufacturing processes.

5. Why is strength of materials important in engineering?

Strength of materials is important in engineering because it helps engineers design and construct structures that can withstand different types of forces and loads. This is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles. Understanding the strength of materials also allows for the optimization of designs, reducing material and cost while maintaining structural integrity.