Calculating thermal energy released when aluminum cools an solidifies

In summary, the metal smith is forming a 1.5kg aluminum statue by heating the aluminum to 2700 degrees C, pouring it into a mould, and then cooling it to a room temperature of 23.0 degrees C. To calculate the thermal energy released by the aluminum during the process, the temperature change must be done in two stages: first, the heat lost by the liquid cooling to its melting point, and then the heat lost by the solid cooling to 23 degrees. The heat capacities for the liquid and solid will not be equal. Additionally, it is possible that there are two phase transitions involved, as 2700 C is well above the boiling point of aluminum at 2467 C. In order to accurately
thermite

Homework Statement

While forming a 1.5kg aluminum statue, a metal smith heats the aluminum to 2700 degrees C, pours it into a mould, and then cools it to a room temperature of 23.0 degrees C. Calculate the thermal energy released by the aluminum during the process.

Homework Equations

Q = mc(delta)T
Q = mLf

Lf aluminum = 6.6 * 10^5 J/kg
heat capacity of aluminum : 9.2 * 10^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I already know that I have to find the thermal energy released when the aluminum cools from 2700 degrees to 23 degrees, and I have to add it to the thermal energy released during the change of state.

Q = mcT
= 1.5(9.2*10^2)(-2677)
= - 3 694 260 J

Q = mLf
= 1.5(6.6 * 10^5)
= 990 000 J

Q = -3 694 260 + 990 000
= -2 704 260 J

I know that the thermal energy released is 2 704 260 J, but I don't understand why you are supposed to add the thermal energy released in the change of state (990 000 J) to the thermal energy released due to the change in temperature.

My physics teacher told me that when a substance is cooling from a liquid to a solid, the value of thermal energy should be negative (so basically you subtract), but in this case (the textbook) does not agree.

Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do the temperature change in two stages:
* heat lost by liquid cooling to melting point
* heat lost by solid cooling to 23 degrees
The heat capacities for the liquid and solid will not be equal.

Wow! That metal smith must be doing aluminum vapor deposition! 2700 C is well above the boiling point for aluminum at 2467 C. So the question is, do we take this to be a mistake on the part of the problem author, or are there actually two phase transitions to deal with?

Offhand, who remembers the heat of vaporization of aluminum? Something around 11,000 kJ/kg maybe?

Related to Calculating thermal energy released when aluminum cools an solidifies

1. What is thermal energy and how is it related to aluminum cooling and solidification?

Thermal energy is the energy possessed by a substance due to its temperature. When aluminum cools and solidifies, it releases thermal energy as it changes from a liquid to a solid state.

2. How is the thermal energy released during aluminum cooling and solidification calculated?

The thermal energy released can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the thermal energy released, m is the mass of aluminum, c is the specific heat capacity of aluminum, and ΔT is the change in temperature from its initial state to its final state.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of aluminum and why is it important in calculating thermal energy?

The specific heat capacity of aluminum is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of aluminum by 1 degree Celsius. It is important in calculating thermal energy because it is a constant that allows us to quantify the amount of thermal energy released during aluminum cooling and solidification.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the thermal energy released during aluminum cooling and solidification?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the thermal energy released, such as the initial temperature of the aluminum, the surrounding temperature, and any heat transfer that may occur between the aluminum and its surroundings.

5. How is the thermal energy released during aluminum cooling and solidification used in practical applications?

The thermal energy released during aluminum cooling and solidification is used in various industries, such as in the production of aluminum products and in the cooling of machinery and equipment. It is also an important factor to consider in thermal management and temperature control in buildings and vehicles.