Calculating the roots of a quadratic with complex coefficien

In summary, the student attempted to find the roots of a quadratic equation, but found it to be too complicated. The student then tried to solve it using a complex number method, but it did not work. In the end, the student found the real and imaginary parts of the equation, and solved for x.
astrololo

Homework Statement

Calculating the roots of a quadratic with complex coefficients

Homework Equations

x^2 - (5i+14)x+2(5i+12)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the quadratic solution but it gives too complicated solutions. I have no idea on how to do this...

Physics news on Phys.org
astrololo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried the quadratic solution but it gives too complicated solutions. I have no idea on how to do this...

You have something in the form of $$z^2=c$$ where $$c=a+bi$$ assume that a square root of c is y+zi, where $$(y+zi)^2=a+bi$$ Do you understand where to go from here? There are multiple methods to solve these problems, some easier than others.

Have you learned DeMoivre’s Theorem yet?

Student100 said:
You have something in the form of $$z^2=c$$ where $$c=a+bi$$ assume that a square root of c is y+zi, where $$(y+zi)^2=a+bi$$ Do you understand where to go from here? There are multiple methods to solve these problems, some easier than others.

No, I didn't learn it.

Student100 said:

The c^2=a+bi corresponds to what I had earlier, right ?

astrololo said:
No, I didn't learn it.

Okay.

Is the first part at least recognizable, do you know how to develop it into a formula for y and z?

astrololo said:
The c^2=a+bi corresponds to what I had earlier, right ?

No you just had c, you're looking for $$\sqrt(c)$$

Student100 said:
No you just had c, you're looking for $$\sqrt(c)$$
Sorry, I was referring to this : z^2=18.75+25i

ISn't this good ?

where z=x-2.5i-7

astrololo said:
Sorry, I was referring to this : z^2=18.75+25i

ISn't this good ?

where z=x-2.5i-7

Looks okay.

You're looking for a $$(y+zi)^2=18.75+25i$$ equate the real and imaginary parts.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
Student100 said:
First part looks okay, the second part isn't correct that's not the square root,

You're looking for a $$(y+zi)^2=18.75+25i$$ equate the real and imaginary parts.
I don't understand. You want me to do this : y=18.75 and zi=25i ?

bump

astrololo said:
edit

I just made it up, it's a dummy variable.

astrololo said:
I don't understand. You want me to do this : y=18.75 and zi=25i ?

No, hang in there with me for a second, I want you to expand ##(y+zi)^2## first. Then equate the parts that still have an i to the imaginary part, and the parts of the equation that have no i to the real part as two equations.

Ok, one step at a time : http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP64521di37fi0318f781f00005eih08d4i137gf4g?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=22&w=132.&h=18.

Which gives y^2+2yzi-z^2

Last edited by a moderator:
astrololo said:
Ok, one step at a time : http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP64521di37fi0318f781f00005eih08d4i137gf4g?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=22&w=132.&h=18.

Excellent. Now combine like terms and tell me which are the real and complex parts and equate them to the right side respectfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Student100 said:
Excellent. Now combine like terms and tell me which are the real and complex parts and equate them to the right side respectfully.
y^2+2yzi-z^2

y^2-z^2 is the real part and 2yzi is the complex part.

astrololo said:
y^2+2yzi-z^2

y^2-z^2 is the real part and 2yzi is the complex part.

So the real part is equal to your first equation, and the complex part is equal to second, why don't you go ahead and write that out.

Student100 said:
So the real part is equal to your first equation, and the complex part is equal to second, why don't you go ahead and write that out.
y^2-z^2=18,75

2yzi=25i

astrololo said:
y^2-z^2=18,75

2yzi=25i

Yes, so a=18.75, and b =25.

So now you have two questions, solving equation 2 for $$z=\frac{b}{2y}$$ subbing it into equation one gives you $$y^2-(\frac{b}{2y})^2=a$$ which can be rewritten as $$4y^4-4ay^2-b^2=0$$ taking the positive root $$y^2=\frac{a+\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}{2}$$ which gives you $$y=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}$$

That's the part of your real root, see if you can develop the complex part.

astrololo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You shouldn't have given up on the quadratic formula so easily. With complex numbers, things tend to get algebraically messy, so you have to accept more complications than with real numbers. In any case, using the quadratic formula directly gives:

##x = \frac{14 + 5i \pm 5 \sqrt{3 + 4i}}{2}##

Which is really not very complicated at all!

Likes Student100

Related to Calculating the roots of a quadratic with complex coefficien

What is a quadratic equation with complex coefficients?

A quadratic equation with complex coefficients is an equation of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part, and are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

How do you calculate the roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients?

The roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients can be calculated using the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)) / 2a. The ± symbol means that there are two possible solutions, one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign. This formula works for all quadratic equations, whether the coefficients are real or complex.

Can a quadratic equation with complex coefficients have real roots?

Yes, a quadratic equation with complex coefficients can have real roots. This occurs when the discriminant (b2 - 4ac) is a positive real number. In this case, the ± symbol in the quadratic formula will produce two real solutions.

What do the roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients represent?

The roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients represent the points where the graph of the equation crosses the x-axis. In other words, they are the values of x for which the equation is equal to 0.

What is the difference between real and complex roots in a quadratic equation?

The difference between real and complex roots in a quadratic equation is that real roots are values of x that are real numbers, while complex roots are values of x that are complex numbers. Real roots can be plotted on a traditional x-y coordinate system, while complex roots require a complex plane with both a real and imaginary axis to be represented.