Calculating the number of turns of a solenoid.

• Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the following conversation discusses the homework equations B = μ Ni/l. The problem a from the textbook is not clear to the student, and he asks for the opinion of his classmate. The classmate estimates the equation as being appropriate for solenoid coils, but warns that the equation may not be accurate if the wire is thicker or not wound closely. The classmate also points out that the standard formula may not be accurate in all cases.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

oNdCA.jpg

Homework Equations

B = μ Ni/l

The Attempt at a Solution

Question no. a:[/B]
tgKdV.jpg

And Q no. b:
8XcD7.jpg

I am not sure about the step in the red circle in the first figure, and my book doesn't give a solution, so what is your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
I am not sure about the step in the red circle in the first figure,
Looks good to me.

cnh1995 said:
Looks good to me.
I thought it is used in the case of a circular coil, but in the problem we deal with a solenoid, wouldn't this make a difference?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
I thought it is used in the case of a circular coil, but in the problem we deal with a solenoid, wouldn't this make a difference?
Actually, it is appropriate for solenoid only. I don't see how you can use it for circular coil with constant radius.

cnh1995 said:
Actually, it is appropriate for solenoid only. I don't see how you can use it for circular coil with constant radius.
Suppose you have a wire with a length (l) and you want to make a circular coil with a radius (r), then the number of turns you get will be (N), and you can determine this N as this:
N = l / 2πr

Asmaa Mohammad said:
I see what you mean: it's a helix rather than a circle. But the difference here is negligible, I think.

If the circumference of the solenoid is 20cm, and the pitch (the diameter of the wire) is 0.07356cm, then the length of wire per turn is sqrt(20^2 +0.07356^2)cm = 20.000135 cm giving 249.998 turns from 50m of wire.

But you are correct that in some cases with thick wire or not close wound, this could make a difference.

cnh1995 also makes an interesting point, that you can't wind a coil with several turns and have them all in exactly the same place. The best you might manage is a series of concentric short solenoids each with a slightly larger diameter. I can't agree that the standard formula is exactly correct in either situation, but in practical terms it is probably pretty close in most cases.

Likes cnh1995
Merlin3189 said:
I see what you mean: it's a helix rather than a circle. But the difference here is negligible, I think.

If the circumference of the solenoid is 20cm, and the pitch (the diameter of the wire) is 0.07356cm, then the length of wire per turn is sqrt(20^2 +0.07356^2)cm = 20.000135 cm giving 249.998 turns from 50m of wire.

But you are correct that in some cases with thick wire or not close wound, this could make a difference.

cnh1995 also makes an interesting point, that you can't wind a coil with several turns and have them all in exactly the same place. The best you might manage is a series of concentric short solenoids each with a slightly larger diameter. I can't agree that the standard formula is exactly correct in either situation, but in practical terms it is probably pretty close in most cases.
OK, I think I understood your point of view, but my answer as a whole is correct or not?

Well a) is fine.
I haven't answered b). Everything down to the last 2 lines looks ok and the formula looks familiar, but I don't really remember this quantitative magnetic stuff very well!

With Tesla, Oersted, Gauss, Maxwell, Gilbert and heaven knows how many other named units, not to mention 4pi appearing and disappearing apparently at random, I gave up on it. I try to follow calculations with Amps, metres, Volts, Newtons and so on, but when I see weird units, I stop.
I have the same problem with light - Trollands (both scotopic and photopic), Lamberts, lux, lumens, candels, candellas, candellabras, - and just about any American unit like foot pounds per gallon!

Asmaa Mohammad said:
my answer as a whole is correct or not?
Yes.

Related to Calculating the number of turns of a solenoid.

1. How do you calculate the number of turns of a solenoid?

The number of turns of a solenoid can be calculated by dividing the length of the solenoid by the diameter of the wire used to make the solenoid. This will give you the number of turns per unit length. Multiply this by the length of the solenoid to get the total number of turns.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the number of turns of a solenoid?

Calculating the number of turns of a solenoid is important because it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing solenoids for various applications such as electromagnets, inductors, and transformers.

3. What factors can affect the number of turns of a solenoid?

The number of turns of a solenoid can be affected by the length and diameter of the solenoid, the diameter and type of wire used, and the material of the core (if present). Additionally, the desired strength of the magnetic field and the current flowing through the solenoid can also influence the number of turns needed.

4. How does the number of turns of a solenoid affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The more turns in a solenoid, the stronger the magnetic field it produces. This is because each turn contributes to the overall magnetic field, and increasing the number of turns increases the number of magnetic field lines produced.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the number of turns of a solenoid?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the number of turns of a solenoid. This method assumes a perfect solenoid with uniform winding and no magnetic material in the core. It also does not take into account other factors such as magnetic saturation and heating of the wire, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.