Calculating the force due to friction

In summary: Coefficients of friction vary, at least a bit, across a surface.But my reason for intervening is to ensure the OP is not left with the erroneous understanding that energy/distance is a valid way to find average force. It is a widespread misconception.
Zero
Homework Statement
A man (mass is 90.0 kg, 7.00 m/s east) runs towards a sled (mass is 100.0 kg, initially stationary) and jumps on to it (assume momentum is conserved). The sled (with the Agent on top of it) slides a total distance of 4.00 meters. Assume the sled only moves horizontally. Calculate the force due to friction acting on the sled.
Relevant Equations
So I know the formula for friction is Ff= U (Fn) but I have the normal force but I don't have U. I know I can get U but for that I need acceleration. I know I can get acceleration but I need time. But without sounding redundant am I missing something???
p man= mv
p man = 90 (7)
p man= 630

p sled= mv
p sled= 100 (0)
p sled= 0

p man+sled= 630 + 0
p man+sled= 630

fg man= mg
fg man= 90 (9.8)
fg man= 882

fg sled= mg
fg sled= 100 (9.8)
fg sled= 980

fg sled+man= 980+882
fg sled+man= 1862

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 2.09.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 2.09.47 PM.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 124
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to calculate the initial velocity of the (man+sled) by using conservation of momentum. Since you then know the initial velocity and the distance traveled (two variables), you should be able to solve for the acceleration and the time (two variables).

phyzguy said:
You should be able to calculate the initial velocity of the (man+sled) by using conservation of momentum. Since you then know the initial velocity and the distance traveled (two variables), you should be able to solve for the acceleration and the time (two variables).
Thank you got what I was looking for really appreciate it.

Zero said:
Thank you got what I was looking for really appreciate it.
One quibble.. the question ought to have said to assume the force is constant. Some questions like this ask for average force instead of stating that, but that doesn’t work; for average force you would need to be told the time. Average force x distance does not necessarily equal work done.

haruspex said:
One quibble.. the question ought to have said to assume the force is constant. Some questions like this ask for average force instead of stating that, but that doesn’t work; for average force you would need to be told the time. Average force x distance does not necessarily equal work done.
It specifically says the force due to friction. The force due to friction depends only on the normal force, which doesn't change, so it should be constant.

phyzguy said:
It specifically says the force due to friction. The force due to friction depends only on the normal force, which doesn't change, so it should be constant.
Coefficients of friction vary, at least a bit, across a surface.
But my reason for intervening is to ensure the OP is not left with the erroneous understanding that energy/distance is a valid way to find average force. It is a widespread misconception.

Related to Calculating the force due to friction

Question 1: What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface.

Question 2: How is the force due to friction calculated?

The force due to friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other) by the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

Question 3: What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest on a surface, while kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object in motion on a surface.

Question 4: How does the surface area of an object affect the force due to friction?

The surface area of an object does not directly affect the force due to friction. However, a larger surface area may increase the amount of contact between two surfaces, resulting in a greater force of friction.

Question 5: What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by factors such as the type of surface, the smoothness of the surface, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.