Calculating the flux of a vector field

Slimy0233
Homework Statement
Q.18. The flux of the vector field ##\vec{F}=(x+y) \hat{i}+(x-3 y) \hat{j}+x y \hat{k}## through the surface defined by the equation ##x^{2}+y^{2} \leq a^{2}, x>0, y>0##, will be
(a) ##a^{4} / 8##
(b) ##a^{4} / 4##
(c) ##a^{2} / 8##
(d) ##a^{2} / 4##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{F}=(x+y) \hat{i}+(x-3 y) \hat{j}+x y \hat{k}##
I am not sure why latex is not rendering, but here is the question.
1697874194177.png
1697872890966.png

The answer is ##\frac{a^2}{8}## and for the love of my life, I don't know how. Can you please help me with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_S xy dS= \int_0^a r^2 rdr \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \sin\theta \cos \theta d\theta[/tex]
Azimuthal integration gives 1/2.

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\int_S xy dS= \int_0^a r^2 rdr \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \sin\theta \cos \theta d\theta[/tex]
Azimuthal integration gives 1/2.
I am DOUBT! azimuthal integration is a new phrase for me. I think it's the equivalent of what I learnt as integration using spherical co-ordinates, but still, I don't see how you can get 1/2 there. Also, isn't dr 0? We are integrating with radius r as constant (a). We are given a surface [tex]x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2[/tex]

I think$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^a xy ~dx~dy$$should actually be$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^{\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx$$
And on 'dimensional' grounds, I think the answer should be a multiple of ##a^4## rather than ##a^2##. So the 'official answer' might be wrong.

Likes MatinSAR
Steve4Physics said:
I think$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^a xy ~dx~dy$$should actually be$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^{\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx$$
And on 'dimensional' grounds, I think the answer should be a multiple of ##a^4## rather than ##a^2##. So the 'official answer' might be wrong.
can you please explain the limits of the integral more? I mean, I put a as the limit of the integral as it's a part of a circle we are talking about here, why are you putting a different limit?

edit: Damn! Yes! It's a circle we are talking about, I seem to have calculated the area of a square. Yes?

Slimy0233 said:
edit: Damn! Yes! It's a circle we are talking about, I seem to have calculated the area of a square. Yes?
Yes!

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
can you please explain the limits of the integral more? I mean, I put a as the limit of the integral as it's a part of a circle we are talking about here, why are you putting a different limit?
Draw ##xy## axes and the 1st quadrant.

Draw a thin vertical ‘elementary’ strip of thickness ##dx## for some value of ##x## inside the quadrant. Note:
- the left side of the strip has x-coordinate ##x##;
- the right side of the strip has x-coordinate ##x+dx##;
- the bottom edge of the strip is a has y-coordinate = 0;
- the top edge of the strip has y-coordinate ##\sqrt {a^2-x^2}## (that’s the key point).

When you integrate ##xy## over the elementary strip you get ##\int_{y=0}^{y=\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx##. (Then it remains to integrate the contributions from all the strips.)

Can you take t from there?

• Care
Likes Slimy0233
Steve4Physics said:
Can you take t from there?
It was very kind of you to explain that well and that much!

I can take it from there, thank you! I managed to solve it.
DocScanner_116909489552867.jpg
DocScanner_116966761071806.jpg

Likes Steve4Physics