Calculating the final temperature of a mixture of Ice and Water

In summary, The question asks for the final temperature of a mixture of ice and water. The equation to calculate this is ((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))+((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(x-0)). However, when trying to solve this equation, the last digit of the specific heat (4.184) is ignored. This causes the equation to not work correctly. The attempted solution is to use the equation ((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))+((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)
Jham808

Homework Statement

How do I calculate the following. The final temperature of a mixture of of ice and water. Where 176grams of ice at -10celsius mixes with 206 grams of water at 73.3celsius. I have tried this equation in multiple fashions and cannot seems to come to a consistent answer! Any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why does the below not work?
water specific heat=4.184
ice specific heat= 2.11
heat of fusion=334

((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))+((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(x-0))=((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))

Physics news on Phys.org
Jham808 said:

Homework Statement

How do I calculate the following. The final temperature of a mixture of of ice and water. Where 176grams of ice at -10celsius mixes with 206 grams of water at 73.3celsius. I have tried this equation in multiple fashions and cannot seems to come to a consistent answer! Any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why does the below not work?
water specific heat=4.184
ice specific heat= 2.11
heat of fusion=334

((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))+((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(x-0))=((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))

What do you mean on ∆temperature?

After the ice reached the melting temperature and melted, it became water at 0 degree, and its specific heat is the same as that of water.

ehild

Hello ehlid,

I have tried this in stages but continue to do something incorrectly.

The Amount of Energy in Water
((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))
4.18 X 73.3C X 206gram=63,117Joules

The Amount of Energy to get ice to melting point
((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))
2.11 * 10c * 176grams=3,713Joules

Energy for Melting
((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))
334*176=58,784

Total Energy of ice melt and bringing to melting point
((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))

62,497<63,117 complete melting of ice occurs

the remaining energy is 602 joules
the total remaining water mass is 176+206=326grams
602joules=326grams * 4.18 * (x-0)
602= 1,362 * (x-0)
0.44=(x-0)

is this correct?

^mostly
remaining energy=
-62,497+63,117=620 not 602
typo?

yes, 620 is correct. apologies. Is this the correct answer?

Jham808 said:
I have tried this in stages but continue to do something incorrectly.

The Amount of Energy in Water
((specific Heat water)X(Mass water)x(∆temperature))
4.18 X 73.3C X 206gram=63,117Joules

Why did you ignore the last digit of the specific heat? 4.184 X 73.3C X 206gram=63,522Joules

Jham808 said:
The Amount of Energy to get ice to melting point
((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))
2.11 * 10c * 176grams=3,713Joules

Energy for Melting
((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))
334*176=58,784

Total Energy of ice melt and bringing to melting point
((specific Heat ice)X(Mass ice)x(∆temperature))+((mass ice)*(heat of fusion))

62,497<63,117 complete melting of ice occurs

the remaining energy is 602 joules

It is 1029 J

Jham808 said:
the total remaining water mass is 176+206=326grams
602joules=326grams * 4.18 * (x-0)
602= 1,362 * (x-0)
0.44=(x-0)

is this correct?

No. Recalculate with the correct remaining energy. But the method is correct.

ehild

I wonder if the desired answer should be 0°C.
Can you quote the question exactly?
It seems we are to use significant 3 digits for each value.
Then we should write -10.0°C.
When we subtract our 3 digits will be reduced to 1.
This leads to an answer of about 0.4°C.
As this value is uncertain the mixture might contain some unmelted ice or be slightly warmer than 0°C. Not that it would make much difference.

Related to Calculating the final temperature of a mixture of Ice and Water

1. How do I calculate the final temperature of a mixture of ice and water?

To calculate the final temperature of a mixture of ice and water, you will need to use the formula:
Tf = (m1 x c1 x T1 + m2 x c2 x T2) / (m1 x c1 + m2 x c2)
Where Tf is the final temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the ice and water respectively, c1 and c2 are the specific heat capacities of ice and water, and T1 and T2 are the initial temperatures of the ice and water. This formula assumes that there is no heat loss to the surroundings.

2. How do I determine the mass of ice and water in the mixture?

To determine the mass of ice and water in the mixture, you can weigh them separately using a scale. Alternatively, if you know the total mass of the mixture and the ratio of ice to water, you can use simple algebra to find the individual masses.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate the final temperature of any mixture of substances?

Yes, you can use this formula to calculate the final temperature of any mixture of substances as long as you know the specific heat capacities and initial temperatures of each substance and there is no heat loss to the surroundings. You may need to adjust the formula if the substances have different units of measurement for their specific heat capacities.

4. What if there is heat loss to the surroundings?

If there is heat loss to the surroundings, the final temperature of the mixture will be lower than the calculated result. This is because some of the heat energy will be lost to the environment. To account for this, you can introduce a heat loss factor (such as a heat transfer coefficient) into the formula.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the final temperature of a mixture of ice and water?

Yes, there are several simpler methods to estimate the final temperature of a mixture of ice and water. These include using the rule of mixtures, which assumes that the final temperature will be the average of the initial temperatures, or using a phase change diagram to determine the final temperature at equilibrium. However, these methods may not be as accurate as the formula mentioned in the first question.