Calculating temperature of electron beam

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula for calculating the temperature of an electron beam in order to determine the irradiance of synchrotron radiation emitted from the beam. The person asking the question is looking for a general formula that can be applied to multiple passes on a recirculating linac.
KJ4EPE
I was curious. Does anyone know of anywhere were I might be able to find a formula for calculating the temperature of an electron beam? I already know the frequency and energy levels (actually calculating for multiple energies, so I have a spreadsheet I'd like to plug the equation into).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question could apply to any of many electron beam applications. Here is one article pertaining development of a cool electron beam being developed to cool an antiproton beam at ~ 8.9 GeV. Can you be more specific?

"ELECTRON BEAM TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENTS AT THE
FERMILAB MEDIUM ENERGY ELECTRON COOLER
"

http://cern.ch/AccelConf/d07/papers/wepb18.pdf

Bob S

Well, I'm trying to find the irradiance of synchrotron radiation emitted from an electron beam. The equation I have for irradiance requires the temperature of the radiation source. For example, the Sun is something like 5760 K, so I was looking for a way to calculate a similar temperature for the e-beam. I'm actually calculating it for multiple passes on a recirculating linac (a la CEBAF at JLab), so I needed a general formula with certain energy, current, wavelength, etc.

Related to Calculating temperature of electron beam

What is an electron beam?

An electron beam is a stream of fast-moving electrons that can be used for various purposes, such as imaging, welding, and heating materials.

What factors affect the temperature of an electron beam?

The temperature of an electron beam is affected by the energy of the electrons, the number of electrons in the beam, the focusing of the beam, and the environment the beam is passing through.

How is the temperature of an electron beam calculated?

The temperature of an electron beam can be calculated using the formula: T = me(v^2)/3kB, where T is the temperature, me is the mass of an electron, v is the speed of the electrons, and kB is the Boltzmann constant.

What are the units of measurement for the temperature of an electron beam?

The temperature of an electron beam is typically measured in Kelvin (K) or electron volts (eV).

Can the temperature of an electron beam be controlled?

Yes, the temperature of an electron beam can be controlled by adjusting the energy and number of electrons in the beam, as well as the focusing and environment of the beam. This allows for precise temperature control for various applications.