Calculating Surfaces of Intersecting Cylinders

• Thread starter agent_cooper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinders
In summary: Anyway, in summary, the student is trying to find the surface area of a region common to two intersecting cylinders. Unfortunately, they are not able to find an explicit solution for the equation and are instead forced to use an integration.
agent_cooper
1. Homework Statement

Find the surface area of the region common to the intersecting cylinders
x^2 + y^2 = 1 and x^2 + z^2 = 1.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is 16 but why? How can we parametrize this surfaces?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, agent_cooper. You need to show us your work in order for us to offer tutorial help. What integrals are the relevant equations for calculating the surface area of shapes with boundaries? How do those equations apply here?

Have you tried actually thinking about the algebraic conditions that define the intersection of those two cylinders? As in your last post you may want to think about how understanding the geometry can help you to avoid an explicit integral.

We can solve these equations together for z and x(we need two parameters):
z = y or z = -y & x = sqrt(1 - y^2) or x = -sqrt(1 - y^2) . The surface area can be formulized as (integral) z ds.
Here ds = sqrt (1 + (dx/dy)^2) dy. Since (dx/dy)^2 = (y^2) / (1 - y^2), we get ds = 1 / sqrt(1 - y^2). We have z = y , and thus we get
S = (integral from 0 to r) [y / (1 - y^2)] dy . We can solve it by using an appropriate substitution(and the value of this integral is 1 actually).
My question is why we multiply this integral by 16? Maybe it's easy but i can't see it for now.

I like z=+/-y. The cylinders are cut by planes. That's the geometric insight. I really don't get the rest of your post, but the it's late here and I'm tired. Cylinders are fundamentally flat. You can unwrap the surface sections onto a plane and solve them there.

Anyway, thanks. It's such a good site and later i want to contribute,too.

agent_cooper said:
Anyway, thanks. It's such a good site and later i want to contribute,too.

It is a good site, innit it? Thank the moderators for keeping it sane.

Related to Calculating Surfaces of Intersecting Cylinders

1. What are intersecting cylinders?

Intersecting cylinders are two or more cylinders that share a common point of intersection. This means that their circular bases overlap or are tangent to each other.

2. How are intersecting cylinders different from regular cylinders?

Intersecting cylinders have overlapping or tangent bases, while regular cylinders have distinct, non-overlapping bases. Additionally, intersecting cylinders have more complex and varied shapes compared to regular cylinders.

3. What are the applications of intersecting cylinders?

Intersecting cylinders have various applications in engineering, architecture, and math. They are commonly used in the design of pipes, tunnels, and bridges as well as in creating 3D models and illustrations.

4. How are the volumes and surface areas of intersecting cylinders calculated?

The volume of intersecting cylinders can be calculated by finding the volume of each individual cylinder and adding them together. The surface area can be calculated by finding the surface area of each individual cylinder and subtracting the area of the overlapping or tangent bases.

5. Can intersecting cylinders have different radii or heights?

Yes, intersecting cylinders can have different radii and heights. In fact, the diversity in sizes and dimensions is what makes intersecting cylinders more complex and interesting compared to regular cylinders.