Calculating Satellite Aperture Radius

In summary, to estimate the size of a satellite lens needed to resolve a human face on Earth's surface from an altitude of 100km, you can use the equation θ = 1.22 (λ/D) and estimate the angular resolution. Another equation, θ = (h/D)k, can also be used but both equations require the diameter, D, which can be estimated. The altitude distance can also be taken into account in the estimation process.
k3r0

Homework Statement

Estimate (in the order of magnitude) the size of a satellite lens (aperture radius) required to resolve a human face at the surface of the Earth if the satellite is orbiting at an altitude of 100km. Assume λ to be 600nm.

Homework Equations

θ = 1.22 (λ/D)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this should be a really simple problem but I've been struggling with it for a while now. I want to find D, but I don't have the angular resolution, θ, either. Should I estimate it? There's another equation, θ = (h/D)k but it still has D in it. I also can't figure out how to take into account the altitude distance. If someone could help me out it'd be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to estimate the required angular resolution given the satellite distance and a typical head :smile:

Related to Calculating Satellite Aperture Radius

1. What is satellite aperture radius and why is it important?

Satellite aperture radius refers to the distance from the center of a satellite dish to the edge of its reflector dish. This distance is important because it determines the amount of signal that the dish can receive and transmit. A larger aperture radius means a stronger signal and better performance for the satellite.

2. How is satellite aperture radius calculated?

The calculation for satellite aperture radius is based on the wavelength of the signal being transmitted and the type of dish being used. The formula is: Aperture Radius = (Wavelength x Distance) / (2 x Angle), where wavelength is in meters, distance is the distance between the dish and the satellite in meters, and angle is the angle of the signal in radians.

3. How do variations in satellite aperture radius affect signal strength?

A larger aperture radius will result in a stronger signal and better performance for the satellite, while a smaller aperture radius will result in a weaker signal and potentially lower performance. It is important to carefully calculate and optimize the aperture radius for each specific satellite and dish to ensure the best signal strength.

4. Can satellite aperture radius be adjusted or changed?

Yes, satellite aperture radius can be adjusted by physically changing the size of the reflector dish or by using electronic controls to fine-tune the position of the dish. However, this should only be done by trained professionals and with careful consideration to avoid signal interference and degradation.

5. How does satellite aperture radius affect the cost of a satellite dish?

Generally, a larger aperture radius will result in a more expensive satellite dish due to the need for a larger reflector dish and more precise engineering. However, other factors such as the type of materials used and additional features may also impact the cost. It is important to balance cost with performance when selecting a satellite dish with the appropriate aperture radius.