Calculating Probability of Choosing Vowels: Common Mistakes and Solutions

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: ThanksThat double counts the case when you get an "A" from both the first and third words. This happens with probability 1/30. If you subtract that you get 10/30, as expected.
songoku
Homework Statement
One letter is randomly selected from each of the words HOORAY FOR MATHS. Find the probability of getting at least one vowel which is not the letter O
Relevant Equations
Probability
My attempt:

case 1: get one vowel (A) from word HOORAY = 1/6 x 2/3 x 4/5 = 4/45

case 2: get one vowel (A) from word MATHS = 3/6 x 2/3 x 1/5 = 1/15

case 3: get two vowels (2A) from word HOORAY and MATHS = 1/6 x 2/3 x 1/5 = 1/45

Total probability = 8/45

Answer key = 1/3

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement: One letter is randomly selected from each of the words HOORAY FOR MATHS. Find the probability of getting at least one vowel which is not the letter O
Homework Equations: Probability

My attempt:

Total probability = 8/45

Answer key = 1/3

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

It's okay to get the letter O. If you get A-O-M, then that is a successful outcome.

But, it would have been quicker to caluculate the probability of not getting a non-O vowel.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
It's okay to get the letter O. If you get A-O-M, then that is a successful outcome.

But, it would have been quicker to caluculate the probability of not getting a non-O vowel.
I see, so that is the meaning of the question. Thank you very much perok

It seems you can use inclusion/exclusion here:## p(A \cup B \cup C)=p(A)+p(B)+p(C)-p(A \cap B)...##

songoku said:
Homework Statement: One letter is randomly selected from each of the words HOORAY FOR MATHS. Find the probability of getting at least one vowel which is not the letter O
Homework Equations: Probability

My attempt:

Total probability = 8/45

Answer key = 1/3

Where is my mistake?

Thanks
For one, the probability of getting an A in the word 'For' is 0 (as well as in the HW if you don't change it ;)).

I may be interpreting this slightly differently. I would say that the "one vowel that is not O" MIGHT be the "A" from the first word, HOORAY. There are six letters, one of which is "A" so the probability of that is 1/6. There is no "vowel that is not O" in the second word "FOR" but there is one "A" in the word MATHS. The probability of getting that is 1/5 so the probability of getting "at least one vowel that is not O" is 1/6+ 1/5= 11/30.

HallsofIvy said:
I may be interpreting this slightly differently. I would say that the "one vowel that is not O" MIGHT be the "A" from the first word, HOORAY. There are six letters, one of which is "A" so the probability of that is 1/6. There is no "vowel that is not O" in the second word "FOR" but there is one "A" in the word MATHS. The probability of getting that is 1/5 so the probability of getting "at least one vowel that is not O" is 1/6+ 1/5= 11/30.

That double counts the case when you get an "A" from both the first and third words. This happens with probability 1/30. If you subtract that you get 10/30, as expected.

Related to Calculating Probability of Choosing Vowels: Common Mistakes and Solutions

1. What is the probability of choosing a vowel at random from the English alphabet?

The probability of choosing a vowel at random from the English alphabet is 5/26, or approximately 19.2%. This is because there are 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) out of a total of 26 letters in the alphabet.

2. What is the probability of choosing two vowels in a row from a set of random letters?

The probability of choosing two vowels in a row from a set of random letters depends on the size of the set. If the set contains only 2 letters (one vowel and one consonant), then the probability would be 1/2, or 50%. However, if the set is larger, the probability would be lower. For example, if the set contains 10 letters (5 vowels and 5 consonants), the probability would be 1/5 or 20%.

3. Does the probability of choosing vowels change in different languages?

Yes, the probability of choosing vowels can vary in different languages. For example, some languages may have more or less vowels than the English alphabet, which would affect the overall probability. Additionally, some languages may have different rules for vowel placement and pronunciation, which could also impact the probability of choosing vowels.

4. How is the probability of choosing vowels used in language processing and analysis?

The probability of choosing vowels can be used in language processing and analysis to help identify patterns and relationships between letters and sounds. For example, in natural language processing, the probability of certain letter combinations can be used to determine the likelihood of a word being correctly spelled or to predict the next word in a sentence.

5. Can the probability of choosing vowels be manipulated or affected by other factors?

Yes, the probability of choosing vowels can be influenced by other factors, such as the context of the letters or the language being used. For example, in certain languages, certain letters may have a higher probability of appearing next to a vowel, while in others, this may not be the case. Additionally, the size of the set of letters being chosen from can also affect the probability.