Calculating Nitrogen Dioxide Levels in Long Beach on a May Day

In summary, the amount of nitrogen dioxide in the atmosphere in the city of Long Beach on a certain day in May is approximated by a function A(t) that is measured in pollutant standard index (PSI) and t is measured in hours. To find the average amount of the pollutant present between 7 A.M. and 2 P.M., the integral must be shifted and then solved using trigonometric substitution. The average value of an integrable function can be found by dividing the integral by the difference of the limits of integration. The final answer is 108 PSI.
IHave

Homework Statement

the amount of nitrogen dioxide, a brown gas that impairs breathing, present in the atmosphere on a certain day in may in the city of long beach is appoximated by:

A(t) = ((544) / (4 + (t - 4.5)^2) + 28 t is on interval [0, 11]

where A(t) is measured in pollutant standard index (PSI) and t is measured in hours with t = 0 corresponding to 7 A.M. What is the average amount of the pollutant present in the atmosphere between 7 A.M. and 2 P.M. on that day in the city?

Homework Equations

I know that this problem can be solved using trig substitution since that is the section in my book, in which it came out from.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made several attempts to solve this problem through integration/trig sub. but i keep getting the incorrect value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shift the interval.

ab f '(x-c) dx

= f(x-c)|ab

= f(b-c) -f(a-c)

= ∫a-cb-c f '(x) dx

After shifting, the trig-sub should be easy to detect.

Last edited:
I presume you know that the "average value" of an integrable function, f, between x= a and x= b, is
[tex]\frac{\int_a^b f(x)dx}{b- a}[/tex]

The "shifting" that Harrisonized refers to is equivalent to the simple substitution u= x- 4.5. Once you have done that your function will involve [itex]1/(4+ u^2[/itex] and you should be able to recognize that immediately.

HallsofIvy said:
I presume you know that the "average value" of an integrable function, f, between x= a and x= b, is
[tex]\frac{\int_a^b f(x)dx}{b- a}[/tex]

The "shifting" that Harrisonized refers to is equivalent to the simple substitution u= x- 4.5. Once you have done that your function will involve [itex]1/(4+ u^2[/itex] and you should be able to recognize that immediately.

thank you so much, i knew i was missing something 'cause the integral itself doesn't find the average. so i was missing the b-a component. thanks i was able to figure it out.

108 PSI if anyone was wondering.

Related to Calculating Nitrogen Dioxide Levels in Long Beach on a May Day

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals involving algebraic expressions and trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a trigonometric function in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integrand contains algebraic expressions and one or more of the following trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, or cotangent. It is especially useful for integrals involving radicals or expressions with a quadratic in the denominator.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric function to substitute?

The trigonometric function to substitute is typically chosen based on the form of the integral. For example, if the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic expression, the substitution x = sinθ or x = tanθ may be appropriate. It may also be helpful to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before choosing a substitution.

4. Do I always need to use trigonometric substitution to solve a trigonometric integral?

No, trigonometric substitution is just one technique that can be used to solve trigonometric integrals. Other methods such as integration by parts or partial fractions may also be applicable depending on the specific integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution include forgetting to convert all parts of the integral (such as limits of integration) to the new variable, incorrectly applying trigonometric identities, and forgetting to substitute the differential as well. It is important to carefully follow the steps of trigonometric substitution and double check all substitutions and simplifications.