Calculating mass by pressure needed to move object

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder filled with 50mg of H2 gas at a temperature of 298K. The piston in the cylinder has a surface area of 27cm and rises 2cm when the temperature increases by 30 degrees. Using the ideal gas equation, the volume of the gas is calculated to be 54cm^3. However, finding the mass of the piston using this information is still unclear.
Physics123537

Homework Statement

A cilinder is filled with 50mg of H2 gas. In the cilinder is a piston with a surface of 27cm The temperature of the gas equals 298K. The piston rises 2cm when the temperature rises 30 degrees. Calculate the mass of the piston
Also given data:
MH2=2.02g/mol

Right answer: 3.6kg
2. Homework Equations

Ideal gas equation : p.V = n.R.T

The Attempt at a Solution

I though the volume rose with 2x27cm^2 = 54cm^3
So I used the ideal gas formula and used Volume 1 as X and Volume2 as x+54 and equaled those formulas to each other but received the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF.

You said that you "equaled those formulas to each other". Could you show the steps involved in doing this?

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF.

You said that you "equaled those formulas to each other". Could you show the steps involved in doing this?
p=nRT/V1=nRT/V2
I calculated that n= 0,024

(0,024.8,31.298K)/x=(0,024.8,31.328K)/(x+0,54)

I tried to find x there and ended up with 0,56. Then I put the x back in the formula and tried to find the pressure with it. Which was 106(pa?). How to find the mass of the piston with that is still a mystery

Physics123537 said:
Then I put the x back in the formula and tried to find the pressure with it. Which was 106(pa?). How to find the mass of the piston with that is still a mystery
if that's the pressure, what force is it exerting on the piston?

Related to Calculating mass by pressure needed to move object

1. How do you calculate the mass of an object based on the pressure needed to move it?

The formula for calculating mass based on pressure is mass = pressure/acceleration due to gravity. This means you need to know the pressure applied to the object and the acceleration due to gravity in order to calculate its mass.

2. What is the unit of measurement for pressure needed to move an object?

The unit of measurement for pressure is typically Pascal (Pa). This is a unit of measurement for force per unit area, and is commonly used in scientific and engineering calculations.

3. How does the weight of an object affect the pressure needed to move it?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the pressure needed to move it. However, the weight of an object is related to its mass, and therefore, the pressure needed to move it can be affected indirectly.

4. Can pressure be used to calculate the mass of any object?

No, pressure can only be used to calculate the mass of an object if the acceleration due to gravity is known. This means that the object must be on or near the surface of a planet or other celestial body with a known gravitational pull.

5. What other factors can affect the pressure needed to move an object?

Other factors that can affect the pressure needed to move an object include the surface area of the object, the material of the surface it is moving on, and the presence of any friction or other external forces acting on the object.