Calculating Magnetic Field at Point P from a Short Current Element

So ##(\vec a+\vec b)^2=|\vec a|^2+|\vec b|^2+2\vec a.\vec b##.So ##(\vec i+\vec j)^2=2##, not ##\vec i+\vec j##.But the correct way to do this is to solve from first principles. ##dB=\mu_0/4\pi(I\vec l\times \vec r)/r^2##, and then use the distributive laws.##dB=\mu_0/4\pi(I\vec l\times \vec r/r^2)##.##=I\mu_0/4\pi( \vec l\times \vec r)/
mortymoose

Homework Statement

[/B]
A short current element dl⃗ = (0.500 mm)j^ carries a current of 5.20 A in the same direction as dl⃗ . Point P is located at r⃗ = ( -0.730 m)i^+ (0.390m)k^.
Find the magnetic field at P produced by this current.
So basically what they are asking me for is the x, y, and z components of dB.

Homework Equations

dB= mu0/4pi * (I*(dl x r^)/r^2)
B=Bxi^ +Byj^ +Bzk^

The Attempt at a Solution

dB= 10^-7 * 5.2A *(1.95*10^-4m i^ +3.65*10^-4m k^ )/r^2

So, I cross multiplied dl and r^, now I am completely lost. I don't understand how I am supposed to find the x,y, and z components.
The idea i have is:
use the r^ as r and square it and finish the above equation and solve for dB, and then whatever i^ and k^ component is in the answer is equivalent to my x and z?

So dB=(-2.67*10^-4)i^ +(4.86*10^-10)k^
i^= x k^=z and y=0=j^But i get this answer wrong. Can anyone direct me into the right direction or tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mortymoose said:
dB= 10^-7 * 5.2A *(1.95*10^-4m i^ +3.65*10^-4m k^ )/r^2
Looks right.
mortymoose said:
use the r^ as r and square it
Yes. ##\vec r^2=\vec r.\vec r=|\vec r|^2##.
mortymoose said:
dB=(-2.67*10^-4)i^ +(4.86*10^-10)k^
I don't understand how you get these numbers (nor the minus sign). Please post the intermediate steps.

They don't tell the location of the current element. You have assumed it is at (0,0,0). OK. Gotta assume something.

But your answer of dB=(-2.67*10^-4)i^ +(4.86*10^-10)k^ has a sign error. (I didn't check your numbers).

haruspex said:
Looks right.

Yes. ##\vec r^2=\vec r.\vec r=|\vec r|^2##.

I don't understand how you get these numbers (nor the minus sign). Please post the intermediate steps.
dB= 10^-7 * 5.2A * (1.95*10^-4 i^ + 3.65*10^-4 k^)/r^2

r^2= (-0.73i^ + 0.39k^)^2 = (0.5329 i^ + 0.1521 k^)

Then i plug r^ in...
dB= 1.9027*10^-10 i^ + 1.248*10^-9 k^

Does this look better? I think i must of multiplied something wrong the first time maybe?

mortymoose said:
This line makes no sense. r^2 is a scalar, not a vector. But the final result might be OK.
Your previous mistake was to say j x -i = -k.

mortymoose said:
As rude man points out, this is wrong.
##(x \vec i+y\vec j)^2=x^2\vec i.\vec i+2xy\vec i.\vec j+y^2\vec j.\vec j=x^2+y^2##
##\vec i.\vec i=\vec j.\vec j=1## (dot product is a scalar, and these are unit vectors).
##\vec i.\vec j=0## ( these vectors are perpendicular).

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field at Point P from a Short Current Element

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field at point P from a short current element?

The formula is B = μ0I/4πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the short current element, and r is the distance from the element to point P.

2. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field at point P?

The direction of the magnetic field at point P is perpendicular to the plane formed by the current element and the line connecting the element to point P. This direction can be determined using the right-hand rule.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field at point P?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field is Tesla (T), which is equivalent to kg/(s^2*A), where kg is kilogram, s is second, and A is ampere.

4. Can the magnetic field at point P be negative?

Yes, the magnetic field at point P can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to the direction determined by the right-hand rule.

5. What is the significance of calculating the magnetic field at point P?

Calculating the magnetic field at point P is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on surrounding objects. This information can be used in various applications such as motors, generators, and magnetic imaging techniques.