Calculating Head Loss in Pumping System for Swimming Pool Design

In summary, the conversation involves designing a pumping system for a swimming pool with various fittings and pipe lengths. The problem is finding an appropriate K value for the filter and sieve. The head loss equation for each fitting is K * v^2 / (2g) and the K value is typically determined empirically. The individual has tried searching for K values for the rest of the system's fittings but is unsure of what to look for in regards to the sieve and filter. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Zeophlite

Homework Statement

I have to design a pumping system. Its for a swimming pool. The pool has various fittings (valves, etc) and pipe lengths. My problem is I cannot find an appropriate K value for the filter and sieve.

On the suction side of the pump is various valves and a sieve to remove large debris from the pool, similar to this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_V5XIbaAr_lE/RyjJCHidz-I/AAAAAAAAAMc/UgHv43xsNRk/s400/sieve.jpg

On the discharge side of the pump, the water is pushed through some form of filter. My choice of filter is arbitrary, and so I can choose based on what K values I can find.

Homework Equations

The head loss for each fitting is K * v^2 / (2g) ( http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpdarcyminorlosses/darcy_minor_losses_equation_head_loss_hl.php ). The K value is normally determined empirically, and then just cited from engineering tables.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried searching my university library, as well as googling, but I'm unsure of what to look for. I've found K values for the rest of the system's fittings, (Butterfly and Gate valves, entrance and exits, elbows, etc).

Physics news on Phys.org
I just can't seem to find the K value for the sieve or filter. I assume it would be similar to a screen, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Calculating Head Loss in Pumping System for Swimming Pool Design

1. What is head loss in a pumping system?

Head loss in a pumping system refers to the decrease in pressure or energy that occurs as water flows through the system. It is caused by friction and other factors such as changes in elevation, pipe diameter, and flow rate.

2. Why is head loss important in swimming pool design?

Head loss is important in swimming pool design because it affects the overall efficiency and performance of the pumping system. If the head loss is too high, it can result in poor water circulation, inadequate filtration, and higher energy costs.

3. How is head loss calculated in a pumping system?

Head loss can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe length, diameter, roughness, and flow rate. Other methods, such as the Hazen-Williams equation, can also be used depending on the specific system.

4. What are some ways to reduce head loss in a pumping system?

Some ways to reduce head loss include using smooth pipes with larger diameters, minimizing the number of fittings and valves, and keeping the flow rate within the recommended range. Proper maintenance, such as regularly cleaning and replacing filters, can also help reduce head loss.

5. How can head loss calculations be used to optimize a pumping system for a swimming pool?

By accurately calculating head loss, engineers and designers can determine the most efficient and cost-effective pump size, pipe diameter, and flow rate for a swimming pool. This can help ensure proper water circulation, filtration, and energy use, ultimately resulting in a well-designed and functional pool system.