Calculating Half-Life Using Calculus: Deriving λ from y = y0e-kt

In summary: I feel much better now!In summary, the equation y=y0e-kt1*e-k\lambda has y0e-kt1 as the y-value and λ is the half-life. If at time t1 the amount is y1, then at time t1+λ it will be y1/2, no matter what t1 is. The attempt at a solution is to find y1*(1/2).
ttttrigg3r

Homework Statement

This is the equation
y = y0e-kt

Homework Equations

b) Show using your expression for λ that if at time t1 the amount is y1, then at time t1 + λ it will be y1/2, no matter what t1 is.

The Attempt at a Solution

y1=y0ekt1

that part I got. Then the answer key goes into the next step saying:λ = (−ln2/k)y0ek(t1+λ)

That is where I got lost. What is the step to go from the y1 equation into the lambda equation? I know that for half life, y1=y0/2 so that makes t=ln2/k . The time it takes for an element to decompose to half its mass is t=ln2/k . How do I make the connection to the very last lambda equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement "at time t1 the amount is t1" is the same as y1=y0e-kt1. At any time, the amount is y=y0e-kt.
At time t=t1+λ, the amount is y=y0e-k(t1+λ)=y0e-kt1-kλ. You know the identity ax+y=ax ay, don't you? And λ is the half-life, so y0e-kλ=y0/2.
Can you proceed from here?

ehild

using your method and identity, I got: y=y0e-kt1*e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]
so
y=y1*e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]

and then I am stuck again. lambda = half life, but what does that mean for me to get to y0e-kλ=y0/2.

y0e-kλ=y0/2, that is e-kλ=1/2.

ehild

I still do not see it. is lambda in this equation being treated as a variable or constant? is lambda the same as time?

λ is the time it takes for a sample of an element to decompose so that the mass of the original element in the resulting sample is half of the original mass. Thus, λ, must be the half-life.

Ok I think I got it. This is my understanding, tell me if I am correct.

e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex] is the multiplier it takes to make an element exactly 1/2 of itself therefore we can set e-k[itex]\lambda[/itex]=1/2
So when I come to y=y0e-kt1*e-kλ That is the same thing as y=y0e-kt1*(1/2) and knowing that y0e-kt1=y1 we can say y=y1*(1/2)

am I right?

ttttrigg3r said:
That is the same thing as y=y0e-kt1*(1/2) and knowing that y0e-kt1=y1 we can say y=y1*(1/2)

am I right?

Yes, You are right, well done!

ehild

THank you all those who helped.

Related to Calculating Half-Life Using Calculus: Deriving λ from y = y0e-kt

1. What is the concept of half life with calculus?

The concept of half life with calculus is a mathematical approach to understanding the decay of a substance over time. It involves using calculus to determine the rate of decay and the amount of time it takes for half of the substance to decay.

2. How is calculus used to calculate half life?

Calculus is used to calculate half life by using the differential equation for exponential decay. This equation takes into account the initial amount of the substance, the rate of decay, and the time elapsed to determine the remaining amount of the substance.

3. Can calculus be used to predict future half life?

Yes, calculus can be used to predict future half life by using the same differential equation for exponential decay. By plugging in different values for time, the remaining amount of the substance can be calculated at any point in the future.

4. What is the relationship between half life and the rate of decay?

The relationship between half life and the rate of decay is inverse. This means that as the half life of a substance decreases, the rate of decay increases. This is because the more frequent the decay, the shorter the time it takes for half of the substance to decay.

5. How is half life with calculus applied in real life situations?

Half life with calculus is applied in various fields such as medicine, environmental science, and nuclear physics. It is used to determine the decay of radioactive substances, the effectiveness of drugs, and the breakdown of pollutants in the environment.