Calculating Forces and Moments for Static Equilibrium of a Structure

In summary, the speaker needs help with a question that involves calculating Fab using torque. They have only considered the sum of forces but in order to solve the problem, they need to also write a moment equation about point A. This is because the moment from M at point A is balanced by the moment of the normal force on the rollers at point B. Another student has informed them of this additional step.
Uhmazuba
So I have to do this question and I attempted this.
Can anyone go over this and see if I did it correctly. Another student from my class told me I had to use the torque in order to calculate Fab but I don't see how I would do that.

Schermafbeelding 2015-12-10 om 21.16.47.png

IMG_0959.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
In order for the frame to be in static equilibrium, the sum of the forces and the sum of the moments about point A must each equal zero.

Your calculations appear to use only the sum of the forces. You need to write a moment equation about point A in order to solve this problem.

In simple terms, the moment of M about point A is balanced by the moment about point A of the normal force on the rollers at point B.

Related to Calculating Forces and Moments for Static Equilibrium of a Structure

1. What is a force in a structure?

A force in a structure is a push or pull that acts on a structure, causing it to change shape or move in some way. They can be external, such as gravity or wind, or internal, such as tension or compression.

2. How do forces affect the stability of a structure?

Forces can affect the stability of a structure by either creating a balanced or unbalanced force. Balanced forces keep a structure in a stable position, while unbalanced forces can cause a structure to move or even collapse.

3. What are the different types of forces that act on a structure?

There are four main types of forces that act on a structure: compression, tension, shear, and bending. Compression forces push on a structure, tension forces pull on it, shear forces slide past each other, and bending forces cause a structure to bend or twist.

4. How can we determine the strength of a structure against forces?

The strength of a structure against forces can be determined by conducting a force analysis. This involves identifying all the external and internal forces acting on a structure and calculating the stresses and strains they create. The structure's materials and design can also affect its overall strength against forces.

5. How can we design structures to withstand different types of forces?

Designing structures to withstand different types of forces involves considering the loads, materials, and structural elements used. By understanding the forces that will act on a structure, engineers can design it to distribute these forces evenly and efficiently, making it more resistant to failure.