Calculating Flow through a Surface with a Given Vector Field and Normal Vector

In summary, the problem involves finding the flow through a surface defined by the vector field F(x,y,z) = (y,xz,0) with borders 0<x<1, y=x, 0<z<1 and a normal vector n=(a,b,c) where b<0. The formula for the flow is used, which involves finding the vector differential of surface area and integrating the dot product of F and dS. A parametrization of the surface is needed, and using y=x simplifies the calculation. The position vector for any point on the surface is r(x,z) = <x,x,z> and the tangent vectors are rx = <1,1,0> and rz = <0,
Lindsayyyy

Homework Statement

given is the following field [tex] F(x,y,z)=(y,xz,0)[/tex] (F is a vector field) and the borders of the surface are: [tex] 0<x<1 ;y=x ; 0<z<1[/tex] the < should be less equal but I don't know how to do the sign in latex, sorry. The normal vector is given as [tex]n=(a,b,c); b<0[/tex]

I shall calculate the flow through the surface

Homework Equations

the formula for the flow, can't type in in latex, sorry, but I think you know which one I mean (flow= integral F*n*dS)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find my dS, problem here I have, I don't know how to do this exactly. I tried to parametrize it, but I'm not sure how to do it, because I have a function in my borders. So I think y max equals 1 because of the requirements for x. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you try to use [itex]y=x[/itex] anywhere you can, it will be all quite simple.
Which parametrization did you try ?

I tried x,x,z not sure though.

That surface itself is defined by y= x. The position vector for any point on that surface is r(x, z)= <x, x, z>. Two tangent vectors, at any point are rx= < 1, 1, 0> and another is rz= <0, 0, 1>. The vector differential of surface area is given by [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{v_s}\times\vec{v_t} dsdt[/itex]. Write your vector function in terms of s and t and integrate the dot product [itex]\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, that's what I did after I got the parametrisation. I wasn't sure about it though.

Related to Calculating Flow through a Surface with a Given Vector Field and Normal Vector

1. What is flow through a surface?

Flow through a surface refers to the movement of a fluid, such as air or water, across a given area or boundary. It is a measure of the quantity of fluid that passes through the surface in a specific amount of time.

2. How is flow through a surface calculated?

Flow through a surface is calculated by multiplying the velocity of the fluid (in meters per second) by the area of the surface (in square meters). This gives the volumetric flow rate, which is measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s).

3. What factors affect flow through a surface?

The factors that affect flow through a surface include the type of fluid, the velocity of the fluid, the size and shape of the surface, and any external forces acting on the fluid, such as gravity or pressure differentials.

4. Why is flow through a surface important?

Flow through a surface is an important concept in fluid dynamics and has many practical applications. It is used to calculate the flow of liquids and gases in pipelines, ventilation systems, and other engineering systems. It is also important in understanding the behavior of fluids in natural systems, such as rivers and oceans.

5. How is flow through a surface related to Bernoulli's principle?

Flow through a surface is related to Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This can be seen in the calculation of flow through a surface, where an increase in velocity results in a higher volumetric flow rate. Bernoulli's principle is also used to explain the lift of an airplane wing and the flow of water through a narrow pipe.