Calculating Feynman Rules for Effective Electroweak Chiral Lagrangian

In summary, the Feynman rules for the electroweak chiral Lagrangian can be found in a reference, and they can be extracted from the Lagrangian using the trace. The $\pi$ matrix in this context is the Pauli matrix for the would-be Goldstone bosons of the EWSB.
CoolPhysics5
Hi all,

I'm trying to calculate the Feynman Rules for the effective electroweak chiral Lagrangian. For example, this is the first term in the Lagrangian:

\begin{eqnarray}
\mathcal{L}=\frac{v^2}{4}\text{Tr}(D_{\mu}U D^{\mu}U^{\dagger})
\end{eqnarray}

where

\begin{eqnarray}
U=\text{exp}(\frac{i\pi \cdot \tau}{v})
\end{eqnarray}

where $\tau$ are the Pauli matrices and $\pi$ are the Goldstone bosons. See,for example equations 1 and 2 in:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0201/0201098v1.pdf"

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of a reference in which the Feynman rules for the electroweak Lagrangian are given?

2. Does anyone know how to get the Feynman Rules out of this Lagrangian? It seems that this is a little complicated because of the presence of the trace.

3. Also, do I have to know explicitly what the $\pi$ matrix is? I would assume so, as I seem to be struggling otherwise. I don't know what it is though. For example for chiral perturbation theory in QCD Wikipedia has the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiral_perturbation_theory

in which it gives an explicit representation for the matrix U. But what is the equivalent in the electroweak theory?

Hope I've explained myself clearly. I'm not quite sure if these are the right questions to ask...

Anyhow, any advice or help would be very much appreciated! If anyone knows of any good online resources e.g. papers/lecture notes which might help that would be great too!

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

CoolPhysics5 said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to calculate the Feynman Rules for the effective electroweak chiral Lagrangian. For example, this is the first term in the Lagrangian:

\begin{eqnarray}
\mathcal{L}=\frac{v^2}{4}\text{Tr}(D_{\mu}U D^{\mu}U^{\dagger})
\end{eqnarray}

where

\begin{eqnarray}
U=\text{exp}(\frac{i\pi \cdot \tau}{v})
\end{eqnarray}

where $\tau$ are the Pauli matrices and $\pi$ are the Goldstone bosons. See,for example equations 1 and 2 in:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0201/0201098v1.pdf"

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of a reference in which the Feynman rules for the electroweak Lagrangian are given?

2. Does anyone know how to get the Feynman Rules out of this Lagrangian? It seems that this is a little complicated because of the presence of the trace.

Each term in the expansion of [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is of the form

[itex] \text{Tr}\left( \tau^{a_1} \cdots \tau^{a_n} \right) \left( \pi_{a_3}\cdots \pi_{a_n} D_{\mu}\pi_{a_1} D^{\mu} \pi_{a_2} \right).[/itex]

The first term gives the propagator, while the other terms give vertices with an even number of external legs and two insertions of momenta. The Pauli matrix traces can be worked out at each order by repeatedly using the identity

[itex] \tau^a \tau^b =\delta^{ab} I +i\epsilon^{abc}\tau^c. [/itex]

The vertices will carry a factor of the form [itex]C_{a_1\cdots a_n} k_{a_1} k_{a_2}[/itex], where the [itex]C[/itex]s are related to the tensor expressions for the traces, along with the numerical factors and powers of [itex]v[/itex]. When you build amplitudes from diagrams, you have to sum over the different ways to insert the momentum factors.

3. Also, do I have to know explicitly what the $\pi$ matrix is? I would assume so, as I seem to be struggling otherwise. I don't know what it is though. For example for chiral perturbation theory in QCD Wikipedia has the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiral_perturbation_theory

in which it gives an explicit representation for the matrix U. But what is the equivalent in the electroweak theory?

As it says in the paper that you referred to, the [itex]\pi_a[/itex] are the would-be Goldstone bosons of EWSB. These are the 3 components of the complex Higgs doublet that are absorbed into the gauge bosons giving them the 3rd component needed to form a massive vector. There are more details in Farhi and Susskind "Technicolor" Phys.Rept. 74 (1981) 277 (a scan of the preprint version is available at http://www-lib.kek.jp/cgi-bin/kiss_prepri.v8?KN=198104309&TI=&AU=&AF=&CL=&RP=&YR= ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for that explanation, fzero. I'm also working on a project involving the electroweak chiral lagrangian, so I appreciate this information.

CoolPhysics5, Appelquist and Wu write down Feynman rules for triple gauge vertices from the EWchiL. It might be an instructive exercise to reproduce them if you are so inclined.

Related to Calculating Feynman Rules for Effective Electroweak Chiral Lagrangian

What is the purpose of calculating Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian?

The purpose of calculating Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian is to understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles in the context of the electroweak force. This calculation allows scientists to make precise predictions about the interactions of these particles, which is crucial for testing and refining theories in particle physics.

What is an effective electroweak chiral lagrangian?

An effective electroweak chiral lagrangian is a mathematical framework that describes the interactions between the electroweak force and chiral fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It is an effective theory that simplifies the complex interactions of these particles into a more manageable form.

How are Feynman rules calculated for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian?

Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian are calculated using a process known as Feynman diagrammatic expansion. This involves representing the interactions between particles as diagrams, and using mathematical equations to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes.

What factors are considered when calculating Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian?

When calculating Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian, factors such as the mass, charge, and spin of the particles involved are taken into account. The symmetries and conservation laws of the electroweak force are also considered in these calculations.

Why is the calculation of Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian important?

The calculation of Feynman rules for effective electroweak chiral lagrangian is important because it allows scientists to make precise predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles, which can then be tested and compared to experimental data. This helps to refine our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and can lead to the development of new theories and technologies.