Calculating electrostatic potential energy

In summary, to calculate the electrostatic potential energy stored in a half cylindrical shell, one must first find the relationship between the electric field (E) and potential (V), evaluate the integrand using the formula W = ∫∫∫(1/2)ε0|E|2dv, and then integrate. This will give the total energy content of the electric field within the specified cylindrical coordinates.
PeterRV

Homework Statement

Consider potential field V(ρ, φ, z) = V_0/ρ in free space and cylindrical coordinates.
Calculate electrostatic potential energy stored in half cylindrical shell defined by a≤ρ≤b, 0≤φ≤π and 0≤z≤h.

Homework Equations

W_E=½∫∫∫ρ_vVdV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, since I do not have the ρ_v ...

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterRV said:

Homework Statement

Consider potential field V(ρ, φ, z) = V_0/ρ in free space and cylindrical coordinates.
Calculate electrostatic potential energy stored in half cylindrical shell defined by a≤ρ≤b, 0≤φ≤π and 0≤z≤h.

Homework Equations

W_E=½∫∫∫ρ_vVdV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, since I do not have the ρ_v ...
I have not seen that formula for energy content of an electric field.
More common I believe is W = ∫∫∫(1/2)ε0|E|2dv
dv =element of volume
where W = energy content
E = electric field vector field = E(ρ,φ,z).
So, what is the relation between E and V? Find E(ρ,φ,z), evaluate the integrand, and integrate.

Related to Calculating electrostatic potential energy

What is electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in an electric field. It is the work required to move a charged particle from infinity to a specific location in the electric field.

How is electrostatic potential energy calculated?

The electrostatic potential energy can be calculated using the formula U = kQq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula U = qV, where V is the potential difference between two points.

What factors affect the electrostatic potential energy?

The electrostatic potential energy is affected by the amount of charge on the objects, the distance between them, and the medium between the objects. Inversely, the potential energy decreases as the distance between the objects increases.

Can electrostatic potential energy be negative?

Yes, electrostatic potential energy can be negative. This means that the objects have opposite charges and the potential energy is released when they come closer together. It is also possible for the electrostatic potential energy to be zero, which indicates that the objects have equal and opposite charges.

What are some real-life applications of calculating electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential energy is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, capacitors, and electric motors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and the operation of particle accelerators. Calculating electrostatic potential energy is also crucial in the study of atomic and molecular interactions.