Calculating Electric Field of Insulating Sphere

In summary: The sphere is plastic, so I treat it as an insulator. When the paint is applied and gives it the -35 mC charge, is that charge spread uniformly throughout the sphere?Yes, the charge is spread uniformly on the surface of the sphere (or of the paint because it is spread uniformly on the sphere).In summary, a plastic sphere of diameter 12.0 cm has a charged paint layer of uniform distribution, giving the sphere a charge of -35.0 mC. The electric field is to be found just inside the paint layer, just outside the paint layer, and 5.00 cm outside the surface of the paint layer. The paint layer has a charge of -35 mC and the
Cornfused

Homework Statement

A charged paint is spread in a very thin uniform layer over the surface of a
plastic sphere of diameter 12.0 cm, giving it a charge of -35.0 mC. Find the
electric field (a) just inside the paint layer, (b) just outside the paint layer, (c)
5.00 cm outside the surface of the paint layer.

r= .06 m
q =-35e-6

Homework Equations

E= k*(q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is where my problem is. I'm not sure how to start it. In particular, I'm not sure what how to deal with the charged paint. Here are some questions I have that I would appreciate help with:
1-The sphere is plastic, so I treat it as an insulator. When the paint is applied and gives it the -35 mC charge, is that charge spread uniformly throughout the sphere?
2-Since the paint gave a -35 mC charge, does that mean the paint itself is +35 mC?
3-What numbers am I suppose to use for parts A and B?

Again, I feel like there is some trick with this paint thing that is eluding me and would be grateful for any direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cornfused said:
A charged paint is spread in a very thin uniform layer over the surface of a
plastic sphere of diameter 12.0 cm, giving it a charge of -35.0 mC.
This means that the distribution of charge is uniform throughout the sphere (answer to (1) )

Cornfused said:
Find the
electric field (a) just inside the paint layer, (b) just outside the paint layer, (c)
5.00 cm outside the surface of the paint layer.

Cornfused said:
2-Since the paint gave a -35 mC charge, does that mean the paint itself is +35 mC?
No. The paint has a charge of -35mC.

Cornfused said:
Here is where my problem is. I'm not sure how to start it. In particular, I'm not sure what how to deal with the charged paint.

This problem has a precise symmetry (spherical). Usually these kind of problem are more difficult (but not impossible) to treat with the "standard" equation of coulomb E=k q1/r^2.
There is a much more useful theorem that is usually used when the symmetry is "regular" like this: the Gauss theorem.
This is the trick you were searching :D

Related to Calculating Electric Field of Insulating Sphere

1. How is the electric field of an insulating sphere calculated?

The electric field of an insulating sphere can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. What is an insulating sphere?

An insulating sphere is a spherical object that does not allow the flow of electric current through it. It is made of a material that has high resistance to the flow of electrons, such as rubber, plastic, or glass.

3. How does the electric field of an insulating sphere differ from that of a conducting sphere?

The electric field of an insulating sphere is only present on the surface, while the electric field of a conducting sphere is present both on the surface and inside the sphere. Additionally, the electric field of a conducting sphere is stronger at the surface compared to the electric field of an insulating sphere.

4. Can the electric field of an insulating sphere be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of an insulating sphere can be manipulated by changing the charge or the distance from the center of the sphere. It can also be affected by the presence of other charged objects or insulating materials nearby.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the electric field of insulating spheres?

One example is in the design of high-voltage power lines, where insulating spheres are used to reduce the strength of the electric field and prevent arcing. Another application is in the development of electronic devices, where understanding the electric field of insulating materials is crucial for their proper functioning.