Calculating Deflections on a Curved Beam

• Thread starter Mechaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the problem involves finding the deflection on a semi-circular bar that is fixed at one end and has a point load at the other end. The relevant equation is 3WR^3π / 2EI, where E = 200GN/m^2, W = 9.81N, R = 150mm, and I = 5.625 * 10^-3 (bar is 25mm * 3mm). The attempt at a solution yielded a result of 13868.56, but there is conflicting data suggesting a value of 1.3870359. The exact units are also unknown.
Mechaman

Homework Statement

Working out deflections on a semi circular bar.

Homework Equations

3WR^3π / 2EI

Where E = 200GN/m^2
W = 9.81N
R = 150mm
I = 5.625 * 10^-3 (bar is 25mm * 3mm)

The Attempt at a Solution

(3)(9.81)(0.15)^3π / (2)(200*10^3)(5.625 * 10^-3) = 13868.56

I have data that says it should be more like

I'm not exactly sure of the units either?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechaman said:

Homework Statement

Working out deflections on a semi circular bar.

Homework Equations

3WR^3π / 2EI

Where E = 200GN/m^2
W = 9.81N
R = 150mm
I = 5.625 * 10^-3 (bar is 25mm * 3mm)

The Attempt at a Solution

(3)(9.81)(0.15)^3π / (2)(200*10^3)(5.625 * 10^-3) = 13868.56

I have data that says it should be more like

I'm not exactly sure of the units either?

Heck, we're not even sure what the problem is.

Is there a figure or some other description of what you are trying to solve? Is this bar laterally loaded? Is it a point load? Distributed load? Are the ends both fixed?

SteamKing said:
Heck, we're not even sure what the problem is.

Is there a figure or some other description of what you are trying to solve? Is this bar laterally loaded? Is it a point load? Distributed load? Are the ends both fixed?

The semi circle bar is fixed at one point and has a point load at the other end.

Maybe you can insert a picture?

Related to Calculating Deflections on a Curved Beam

1. What is a deflection on a curved beam?

A deflection on a curved beam is the amount of displacement or bending that occurs in the beam when it is subjected to a load or external force. It is measured in terms of the distance from the original position of the beam to its new position.

2. How is the deflection of a curved beam calculated?

The deflection of a curved beam is calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the geometry of the beam and the type of loading it is subjected to. Some common methods of calculation include using the moment-area method, the conjugate beam method, and the principle of virtual work.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a curved beam?

The deflection of a curved beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam (such as its modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia), the type and magnitude of the load applied, and the shape and dimensions of the beam itself.

4. How does the curvature of a beam affect its deflection?

The curvature of a beam has a significant impact on its deflection. A beam with a larger curvature will experience greater deflection than a beam with a smaller curvature, even when subjected to the same load. This is because a curved beam has a smaller moment of inertia compared to a straight beam, making it more susceptible to bending.

5. Can a curved beam have a negative deflection?

Yes, a curved beam can have a negative deflection. This occurs when the beam is subjected to a downward load, causing it to bend in the opposite direction. In some cases, a negative deflection can be desirable, such as in the design of arches and other structures that require a specific shape or curvature.