Calculating Components of Force: Understanding the F1 = 97g@338 Degrees Equation

In summary, the question is asking for the components of F1 if it equals 97g@338 degrees. After drawing a picture and realizing the angle is in quadrant 4, we can determine that the correct answer is C, with F1x = 90g and F1y = -36g. The equation used to find these components is 97cos338 for F1x and 97sin338 for F1y. It's important to make sure your calculator is set to degrees when doing these calculations.
neoncrazy101
Hello guys, I just have a simple question and I hope it doesn't get deleted or anything but anyways... The question is, "If F1 = 97g@338 degrees, then its components are?"

Then in my book it gives me three answers and I have to pick the correct one...

A: F1x = 29g, F1y = 93g
B: F1x = -53g, F1y = 81g
C: F1x = 90g, F1y = -36g.

Now then, when I draw the picture, the 338 degree's is in quadrant 4 thus giving me a negative y value. So I chose answer C but I can't for the life of me figure out how to figure it out algebraically. I thought it was just something along the lines of 97cos(338) but its not. I have re-read my book and even got into my old high school physics book but I could NOT find the equation I should use to find it... So does anyone know how to set the equation up to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
neoncrazy101 said:
Hello guys, I just have a simple question and I hope it doesn't get deleted or anything but anyways... The question is, "If F1 = 97g@338 degrees, then its components are?"

Then in my book it gives me three answers and I have to pick the correct one...

A: F1x = 29g, F1y = 93g
B: F1x = -53g, F1y = 81g
C: F1x = 90g, F1y = -36g.

Now then, when I draw the picture, the 338 degree's is in quadrant 4 thus giving me a negative y value. So I chose answer C
Good observation!
but I can't for the life of me figure out how to figure it out algebraically. I thought it was just something along the lines of 97cos(338) but its not. I have re-read my book and even got into my old high school physics book but I could NOT find the equation I should use to find it... So does anyone know how to set the equation up to figure this out?
Is your calculator set to degrees? 97 cos 338 is 90, the x component. What's the calculation for the y component?

Wecome to PF!:smile:

OMG that was it. It wasn't set to degree's, it was set to Radians. I changed the setting and I got 90. Thanks!

and 90tan(338) = -36 = y. Or 97sin338 = -36 as well.

Btw, I'll probably be here a lot. I just started my first college physics course and sadly I had to take it as an online class so I'll have a lot of questions.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Components of Force: Understanding the F1 = 97g@338 Degrees Equation

1. What is the force equation?

The force equation is a mathematical expression that relates the force acting on an object to its mass and acceleration. It is written as F = ma, where F represents force in Newtons (N), m represents mass in kilograms (kg), and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is the force equation used in physics?

The force equation is a fundamental formula in physics and is used to calculate the force required to accelerate an object of known mass at a certain rate. It is also used to determine the acceleration of an object when the force acting on it is known.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, which is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the object. Individual forces refer to the separate and distinct forces acting on an object, such as gravity, friction, or applied force.

4. Can the force equation be used to calculate motion in a curved path?

No, the force equation only applies to motion in a straight line. In order to calculate motion in a curved path, additional equations such as centripetal force and centripetal acceleration must be used.

5. How does the force equation relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The force equation is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of an object, the slower its acceleration will be.