Calculating Baud Rate: Frequency 433MHz, 100 Cycles/Symbol

• Thread starter Sir_Pogo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the required frequency and the calculation of the baud rate for a wireless receiver. The speaker suggests that the baud rate is 43.3kHz based on the frequency of 433 MHz and the number of cycles required to recognize a symbol. However, the expert summarizer points out that the calculation is incorrect and suggests a baud rate of 8700 bps or 9600 symbols per second based on the assumption that two bits form a symbol. They also mention that the baud rate may not always match the bit rate and that there may be discrepancies in the calculation.
Sir_Pogo
Question:

It is determined that 100cycles of frequency 433MHz are required to recognize a symbol with a certain wireless receiver. Two symbols form a bit, fi + fm and fi - fm. What is the baud rate?

I was thinking that since T=1/f then you would have:
100cycles=1/433MHz => 100*433 = 43300hz
so then the baud rate would be 43.3khz??

Is that correct or am I wrong here?

Technology news on Phys.org
First of all, Hz = cycles per second, so when you divide cycles per second into 1, you end up with seconds per cycle (the period).

If you have a frequency of 433MHz, then the period is 1/f = 1/(433MHz) = 2.3nS per cycle. In other words, it takes 2.3nS to complete 1 cycle.

Therefore 100 cycles of a 433MHz signal would take 100 * 2.3nS = 0.23 micro-seconds.

Sir_Pogo said:
Two symbols form a bit, fi + fm and fi - fm.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Since a bit is a 1 or 0, it is the smallest amount of data that you can deal with. Therefore, how can 2 symbols form a bit? Perhaps, you meant that 2 bits form a symbol? If that is the case, then since it took 100 cycles to be able to "see" a symbol, that would mean that it took 0.23 micro-seconds to see 2 bits, your bit rate would then be 2 bits/0.23 micro-seconds = approximately 8700 bps.

Still, this is not the baud rate. Baud rate is defined as the maximum rate at which the signal can change states (symbols per second). The values are usually pretty close, but in some instances the bit rate can exceed the baud rate by a factor of 4.

Based on my assumption of what your definition of a symbol is, I would guess that the baud rate is 9600.

Sir_Pogo said:
Question:

It is determined that 100cycles of frequency 433MHz are required to recognize a symbol with a certain wireless receiver. Two symbols form a bit, fi + fm and fi - fm. What is the baud rate?

I was thinking that since T=1/f then you would have:
100cycles=1/433MHz => 100*433 = 43300hz
so then the baud rate would be 43.3khz??

Is that correct or am I wrong here?

2.165 MHz would be my guess, but that doesn't see to jibe with the base-2-log approach...

Related to Calculating Baud Rate: Frequency 433MHz, 100 Cycles/Symbol

1. What is the formula for calculating baud rate with a frequency of 433MHz and 100 cycles/symbol?

The formula for calculating baud rate is: Baud Rate = Frequency / Cycles per Symbol. Therefore, for a frequency of 433MHz and 100 cycles/symbol, the baud rate would be 433MHz / 100 cycles/symbol = 4.33 baud.

2. How does changing the frequency affect the baud rate?

As the frequency increases, the baud rate also increases. This is because the baud rate is directly proportional to the frequency. Therefore, a higher frequency would result in a higher baud rate.

3. Can the baud rate be higher than the frequency?

No, the baud rate cannot be higher than the frequency. This is because the baud rate is limited by the number of symbols that can be transmitted per second, which is determined by the frequency. Therefore, the baud rate can never exceed the frequency.

4. How does the number of cycles per symbol affect the baud rate?

The number of cycles per symbol is directly proportional to the baud rate. This means that as the number of cycles per symbol increases, the baud rate also increases. Therefore, a higher number of cycles per symbol would result in a higher baud rate.

5. Is there a maximum baud rate that can be achieved with a frequency of 433MHz and 100 cycles/symbol?

Yes, the maximum baud rate that can be achieved with a frequency of 433MHz and 100 cycles/symbol is 433 baud. This is because the maximum number of symbols that can be transmitted per second is 100, and the baud rate is limited by this number.