Calculating Age of Universe with Hubble's Constant

In summary, the age of the universe can be calculated using Hubble's constant by converting Mpc to km and solving for seconds.
Aftermarth
I am having trouble understanding how to use Hubble's constant to calculate the age of the universe.
I know that 1/H = a distance on time equation, thus the age can be worked out
i also know that the answer is in seconds and generally to a high power such as 17

However what puzzles me is how the units are converted to seconds.
if H = 60km/s/Mpc

what does the 1 stand for over the H
and how do i make it into just a seconds answer?

Does the one need to be multiplied by the amount of km in a Mpc?

Physics news on Phys.org
the unit of the constant is a (distance/time)/(distance). This means that it has the dimension of time^-1 since distance "cancels out." Therefore 1/H has the dimension of time.

To make the numbers work out, the megaparsec has to be converted into kilometers. How many km in a Mpc?

ok kilometers in a Megaparsec
1 ly = 9.46 x 10 ^ 12 km
1 pc = 3.26ly
therefore 1pc = 3.08 x 10 ^ 13km
Mega = 10 ^ 6

thus one Mpc = 3.08 x 10 ^ 13 x 10 ^ 6
= 3.08 x 10 ^19 km in one Mpc?

and I've seen the hubbles constant in two forms:
eg.
H = 71km/s/Mpc
which is the same as
H = 22km/s/Mly

which one should it be in for the equation T = 1/h?

Aftermarth said:
and I've seen the hubbles constant in two forms:
eg.
H = 71km/s/Mpc
which is the same as
H = 22km/s/Mly

which one should it be in for the equation T = 1/h?

Either one, just as long as you convert the numbers of Mpc to kilometers, or the number of Mly to kilometers, you end up with seconds. Make sure you see it as 71 km/(s-Mpc), or (71km/s)/Mpc. [ It's NOT 71 km/(s/Mpc)] .
Just take out the Mpc, and plug in 3.1X10^19 km, see what you get, then invert it.

okies so let's say 71(km/s)/Mpc

t = 1/H

now H = 71(km/s)/Mpc
where does the 3.1 x 10 ^ 19 go?
on the top of the equation to multiply by the one?

I have told you twice!
Chi Meson said:
Just take out the Mpc, and plug in 3.1X10^19 km
one megaparsec is the same distance as 31 quintillion kilometers.

its confusing thou I am sorry.

t = 1/H

so it equals:
1 / (71 x 3.1 x 10^19)
= 2.201 x 10 ^ 21 seconds as the age of the universe?

or wait. I am just thinking further... is it this now?

1/ (71/ (3.1 x 10^19)) because of the units being (km/s)Mpc
which makes this:
4.7 x 10 ^ 18 seconds as the age

yes, but try that calc again; I get 4.3x10^17 s.

remember that 1/(x/y) = (y/x) It's a simple calculation.

Related to Calculating Age of Universe with Hubble's Constant

What is the Hubble's Constant and how is it related to the age of the universe?

The Hubble's Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is named after astronomer Edwin Hubble who first discovered this phenomenon. The age of the universe can be calculated by using the Hubble's Constant in conjunction with the distance of celestial objects from Earth.

How is the Hubble's Constant calculated?

The Hubble's Constant is calculated by measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies. Redshift is the stretching of light waves due to the expansion of the universe. By measuring the redshift of various galaxies and their distance from Earth, scientists can determine the Hubble's Constant.

What is the current estimate of the Hubble's Constant and the age of the universe?

The current estimate of the Hubble's Constant is approximately 70 km/s/Mpc (kilometers per second per megaparsec). This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, galaxies are moving away from each other at a rate of 70 kilometers per second. Using this value, the age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years.

How does the Hubble's Constant affect our understanding of the universe?

The Hubble's Constant is a crucial component in understanding the history and evolution of the universe. It helps scientists determine the age of the universe, the rate of its expansion, and the amount of matter and energy present in it. By studying the Hubble's Constant, we can gain insights into the past and future of the universe.

Are there any limitations or uncertainties in using the Hubble's Constant to calculate the age of the universe?

While the Hubble's Constant is currently the best tool we have for calculating the age of the universe, there are some limitations and uncertainties in its use. These include uncertainties in the measurement of redshift, uncertainties in the distance measurements of galaxies, and potential variations in the Hubble's Constant over time. Scientists continue to refine their methods and improve accuracy in order to reduce these limitations and uncertainties.