Calculate the volume change with gas temperature for this piston in a cylinder

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving a monatomic gas and its pressure, volume, and internal energy. The solution attempt includes the use of the equations PV = nRT and U = 3/2nRT, but it is pointed out that the latter equation is missing the variable n. The conversation then delves into finding equations for V and W, with a hint to consider the change in pressure as heat is added.
Istiak
Homework Statement
The top of an empty cylinder is covered with a piston. The forces applied to the piston are the atmospheric pressure, the ideal gas pressure, and the gravitational force applied to it due to the mass of the piston. At first the gas pressure was 0. If Q amount of heat is given to the gas slowly, how much will the volume of the gas change? The gas is one atom and the heat holding capacity of cylinders and pistons is negligible
Relevant Equations
U=\frac{f}{2} RT PV=nRT Q=MS \delta T
Solution attempt :
1626071753561.png
Option :

1626071830368.png

I am sure that my work is wrong. But, I must add solution attempt in PF that's why I just added that. How can I solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not given the cross-sectional area of the cylinder?

haruspex said:
Are you not given the cross-sectional area of the cylinder?
Ohh! Sorry! No

Istiakshovon said:
Ohh! Sorry! No
Then I see no way to relate the pressure of the gas to the weight of the piston,

Your translation of the problem statement doesn't make sense to me.

Likes Istiak
In terms of the number of moles, ##n##, of a monatomic gas, you have

##PV = nRT## and ##U = \frac 3 2 nRT##.

It looks like you left out ##n## in the equation for ##U##.

Can you combine these two equations to express ##V## in terms of ##U## and ##P##?

(I assume that the phrase "the gas is one atom" means each molecule of the gas consists of one atom.)

Last edited:
... and I assume the initial gas pressure of zero is gauge pressure, i.e. absolute pressure is atmospheric.

haruspex said:
... and I assume the initial gas pressure of zero is gauge pressure, i.e. absolute pressure is atmospheric.
I'm going to guess that the OP meant to type "P0" instead of "0" for the initial pressure.

1626128627619.png

The pressure of the gas needs to be greater than atmospheric pressure in order to support the piston.

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
I'm going to guess that the OP meant to type "P0" instead of "0" for the initial pressure.

View attachment 285870

The pressure of the gas needs to be greater than atmospheric pressure in order to support the piston.
yes, that makes more sense.

TSny said:

View attachment 285870

Actually, they wanted to write that the pressure was P_0 at first. Then, they wrote if we use Q amount of heat slowly than, how much volume will change? (In your taken picture there wasn't "will change" word I took it from main picture).

TSny said:
(I assume that the phrase "the gas is one atom" means each molecule of the gas consists of one atom.)
The gas is mono-atomic. I just copy-and-pasted from google translate. That's why it is written `one atom`.

TSny said:
PV=nRT and U=32nRT.
Actually, I found in Internet that ##U=\frac{3}{2}RT##. I actually forgot the main equation that's why I searched in internet then, found it. Let me see if I get the same ss for you again.

TSny said:
In terms of the number of moles, ##n##, of a monatomic gas, you have

##PV = nRT## and ##U = \frac 3 2 nRT##.

It looks like you left out ##n## in the equation for ##U##.

Can you combine these two equations to express ##V## in terms of ##U## and ##P##?

1626160813873.png

In the table, ##U## represents the internal energy per mole of gas. ##C_P## and ##C_V## are the heat capacities per mole (called the "molar heat capacities").

For a monatomic gas containing ##n## moles, the total internal energy of the gas is ##U = \frac 3 2 nRT##.

TSny said:
In the table, ##U## represents the internal energy per mole of gas. ##C_P## and ##C_V## are the heat capacities per mole (called the "molar heat capacities").

For a monatomic gas containing ##n## moles, the total internal energy of the gas is ##U = \frac 3 2 nRT##.
##U=\frac{3}{2} PV##
##Q-W=\frac{3}{2}PV##
##V=\frac{2}{3P}(Q-W)##

I can't move futher.

Istiakshovon said:
##U=\frac{3}{2} PV##
Good

Istiakshovon said:
##Q-W=\frac{3}{2}PV##
##Q-W## represents the change in internal energy ##\Delta U##. So, ##Q-W = \Delta U##.

From the equation ##U = \frac 3 2 PV##, can you get an equation for ##\Delta U## in terms of ##\Delta V##?

Can you express ##W## in terms of ##\Delta V##?

Hint: Think about whether or not there will be any change in the pressure of the gas as the heat is slowly added.

Likes Delta2

Related to Calculate the volume change with gas temperature for this piston in a cylinder

1. How do you calculate the volume change with gas temperature for a piston in a cylinder?

To calculate the volume change, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation, which is PV = nRT. P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T represents temperature in Kelvin. You will also need to know the initial and final temperatures and volumes of the gas in the cylinder.

2. What is the ideal gas law equation used for?

The ideal gas law equation is used to relate the physical properties of a gas, such as pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles, to each other. It is based on the assumption that the gas behaves ideally, meaning that there are no intermolecular forces between gas molecules.

3. How does gas temperature affect the volume of a piston in a cylinder?

According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases. This is because the gas molecules have more kinetic energy, causing them to move faster and take up more space. As a result, the piston in the cylinder will move to expand the volume of the gas to accommodate the increase in temperature.

4. Can you calculate the volume change for any type of gas using the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law can be used for most gases, as long as they behave ideally. However, some gases may deviate from ideal behavior under certain conditions, such as high pressures or low temperatures. In those cases, more complex equations may need to be used to accurately calculate the volume change.

5. How can the volume change with gas temperature be measured experimentally?

The volume change with gas temperature can be measured experimentally by using a gas thermometer. This device measures the pressure and volume of a gas at different temperatures, allowing you to calculate the volume change. Other methods, such as using a piston and cylinder setup, can also be used to measure the volume change with gas temperature.