Calculate the retarding force of a cyclist on a slope

In summary, a cyclist's weight causes a force that retards them on a slope. If the slope is horizontal, there is no force. If the slope is 100% (45 degrees), the weight of the cyclist is the retarding force.
Nicaragua

Homework Statement

A cyclist attacks a 20% hill, the mass of the cyclist plus the bike is 100kg. Assuming g = 10 N kg^-1 , calculate the size of the retarding force due to gravity, acting along the slope.

Homework Equations

g = 10 N kg^-1 , Work = Force x Displacement,

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that maybe resolving into vertical and horizontal components of the cyclists weight but am not quite sure how this would work. I have never worked a retarding force on a slope before. Some guidance please? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicaragua said:

Homework Statement

A cyclist attacks a 20% hill, the mass of the cyclist plus the bike is 100kg. Assuming g = 10 N kg^-1 , calculate the size of the retarding force due to gravity, acting along the slope.

Homework Equations

g = 10 N kg^-1 , Work = Force x Displacement,

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that maybe resolving into vertical and horizontal components of the cyclists weight but am not quite sure how this would work. I have never worked a retarding force on a slope before. Some guidance please? Thanks

You have the right idea. Draw the free body diagram (FBD) for the cyclist. The weight of the cyclist points down toward the center of the Earth, and that will give you components parallel to the slope and perpendicular to the slope. The component parallel to the slope is the retarding force. If the slope is horizontal (0%), there will be no retarding force, and all of the weight is straight down. If the slope is 100% (45 degrees), how much of the rider's weight is the retarding force?

berkeman said:
You have the right idea. Draw the free body diagram (FBD) for the cyclist. The weight of the cyclist points down toward the center of the Earth, and that will give you components parallel to the slope and perpendicular to the slope. The component parallel to the slope is the retarding force. If the slope is horizontal (0%), there will be no retarding force, and all of the weight is straight down. If the slope is 100% (45 degrees), how much of the rider's weight is the retarding force?

If the slope was 100%, would the horizontal component be 0 and the vertical (retarding) be all of the rider's weight?

Nicaragua said:
If the slope was 100%, would the horizontal component be 0 and the vertical (retarding) be all of the rider's weight?

No. a 100% slope is 45 degrees. Rise/Run = 1.0 = 100%.

berkeman said:
No. a 100% slope is 45 degrees. Rise/Run = 1.0 = 100%.
I'm struggling to see how to use that to find the two components :/

Well, one of the components varies as sin(angle) and the other varies as cos(angle). We said that on a horizontal slope, the retarding force is zero. Which of those trig functions is zero when angle=0...?

berkeman said:
Well, one of the components varies as sin(angle) and the other varies as cos(angle). We said that on a horizontal slope, the retarding force is zero. Which of those trig functions is zero when angle=0...?
Sin(angle)? But it's not at a 0 degree angle?

Nicaragua said:
Sin(angle)? But it's not at a 0 degree angle?

Please post your FBD for this problem.

berkeman said:
Please post your FBD for this problem.
There should be an image of it attached?

Ah, sorry. I missed that. So draw a horizontal line from the lower left point of the slope, and label that included angle θ. Now what?

berkeman said:
Ah, sorry. I missed that. So draw a horizontal line from the lower left point of the slope, and label that included angle θ. Now what?
Here is what I have came to so far. Not quite sure which trig function to use.

The gradient is 20% if that helps?

Btw thanks very much for going through this with me, with each reply I learn a bit more :)

Attachments

• IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 529

Related to Calculate the retarding force of a cyclist on a slope

1. What factors affect the retarding force of a cyclist on a slope?

The retarding force of a cyclist on a slope is affected by several factors, including the weight of the cyclist and their bike, the angle of the slope, the wind resistance, and the surface conditions of the road.

2. How is the retarding force calculated?

The retarding force of a cyclist on a slope can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the retarding force, m is the mass of the cyclist and their bike, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. Is the retarding force greater when going uphill or downhill?

The retarding force is greater when going uphill, as the angle of the slope increases and more work is required to overcome gravity. However, a cyclist may experience a higher retarding force when going downhill if the slope is steep and they need to brake to maintain a safe speed.

4. How does the retarding force affect the speed of the cyclist?

The retarding force acts in the opposite direction of the cyclist's motion and can slow down their speed. The greater the retarding force, the more energy is required to maintain a constant speed or to overcome it and accelerate.

5. Can the retarding force be reduced?

Yes, the retarding force can be reduced by changing the angle of the slope, reducing the weight of the cyclist and their bike, or by using techniques such as drafting behind another cyclist to decrease wind resistance. Additionally, maintaining a steady speed and using proper braking techniques can also help reduce the retarding force.