Calculate the required current flow in the suspended wire

In summary, the homework statement states that two wires with a magnetic Field apply a current of 70 A through a wire suspended in the field. The equation that was solved states that the required current flow in the wire is proportional to the product of the current in each of the two lower wires and the cross-sectional area of the wire.
Taiyen

Homework Statement

GIANCOLI.ch20.p4546and74.jpg

In the figure, the top wire is 1.5 mm diameter copper wire and is suspended in air due to the two magnetic forces from the bottom two wires. The current flow through the two bottom wires is 70 A in each.

Calculate the required current flow in the suspended wire.

Homework Equations

F=(I1I2μo*length)/2πr
F=(r2πρ)/length

The Attempt at a Solution

I canceled length and now have combined:

(r2πρ)=(I1I2μo)/2πr

I1 = 70A
ρ (density of copper) = 8.92g/cm2
μo = 4π*10-3
r (on the left side) = .15cm/2
r (on the right side) = 3.8cm

I just plug these in and find I2...?
I have tried to, but I keep getting the wrong answer.. maybe my r's are mixed up? I tried switching them, but still wrong.. I think I am missing something, maybe my wrote down the equations incorrectly.. please help! I don't need the final answer, I'm more interested in learning how to do this type of problem.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Taiyen said:
F=(I1I2μo*length)/2πr
F=(r2πρ)/length
Did you mean for the length in the second equation to be in the numerator? Does the acceleration due to gravity play any role here?

Think about the direction of the magnetic force on the the top wire due to each of the bottom wires.

Since you didn't show your calculation, we can't tell if you did the unit conversions correctly. (Your units for the density of copper are incorrect.)

What units are you using for expressing μo?

Oh, yes! The length on the left side is supposed to be in the numerator to cancel. That is my mistake!

I thought that I could calculate mg (in the equation F=mg) by using r2πρ*length, but I really am not sure that this is correct..
Would the direction be downward?

μ0's units are Wb/m2.

And again, my mistake, the density of copper's units are in kg/m3 not g/cm2.

I really appreciate your help!

TSny said:
Since you didn't show your calculation, we can't tell if you did the unit conversions correctly.

Here's what I have after I converted everything to meters:

(0.0015m/2)2*π*(8.92kg/m3) = [(70A) * I2 * (4π*10-3 Wb/m2)]/(2π*0.038m)
and I found I2 to be 4.27*10-6, so I am doing something very wrong...

Your value for the density in kg/m3 is incorrect. Be careful with converting cm3 to m3. Also, your value for μo in the SI system of units is incorrect. Check your textbook or notes.

There are two magnetic forces on the upper wire; one force from each of the lower wires. These forces are vector quantities and so you need to consider the directions of these forces.

Taiyen said:
I thought that I could calculate mg (in the equation F=mg) by using r2πρ*length, but I really am not sure that this is correct..
Would the direction be downward?
What happened to the "g"? Yes, the direction is downward.

μ0's units are Wb/m2
These are not correct units for μ0.

TSny said:
What happened to the "g"? Yes, the direction is downward.These are not correct units for μ0.
OHH! Okay okay! I think I get it!
Sorry for the many mistakes in values and units, I looked back in the textbook and corrected everything.
μo = 4π*10-7 Tm/A
density value is 8960 kg/m3

And then with 2*Fcos(30) = ρπr2*length*g, I can cancel lengths, the "2", and put it back into the other equation to get:

ρπr2g = [I1I2μocos(30)]/(πr)

I got my correct answer with this, thank you so very much for your help! c: I really appreciate it!

Great. Good work!

Related to Calculate the required current flow in the suspended wire

1. How do you calculate the required current flow in a suspended wire?

To calculate the required current flow in a suspended wire, you will need to know the wire's length, material, and the weight it is supporting. You will also need to know the strength of the magnetic field in which the wire is suspended. Using these values, you can use the equation I = mg/Bd to calculate the required current flow, where I is the current flow, m is the weight of the wire, g is the acceleration due to gravity, B is the magnetic field strength, and d is the length of the wire.

2. What is the importance of calculating the required current flow in a suspended wire?

Calculating the required current flow in a suspended wire is important because it allows you to determine the minimum amount of current needed to support the weight of the wire. This information is crucial in designing and constructing systems that use suspended wires, such as cranes or magnetic levitation trains.

3. How does the material of the wire affect the required current flow?

The material of the wire can affect the required current flow in two ways. First, the weight of the wire is directly proportional to the current flow, so a heavier wire will require a larger current to support it. Second, the material of the wire can affect its resistance, which can impact the amount of current needed to generate a strong enough magnetic field to support the wire.

4. Can the required current flow in a suspended wire change?

Yes, the required current flow in a suspended wire can change. It is dependent on the weight of the wire and the strength of the magnetic field, both of which can vary. Additionally, if the length of the wire is altered, the required current flow will also change.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating the required current flow in a suspended wire?

Some practical applications of calculating the required current flow in a suspended wire include designing and constructing cranes, elevators, and magnetic levitation trains. It can also be useful in determining the appropriate strength of magnetic fields for suspending objects, such as in magnetic levitation experiments or demonstrations.