Calculate the frequency, in hertz (level n = 10 to level n = 5)

In summary, the formula for calculating frequency is frequency = (1 / time period), where time period is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle to occur. To calculate the frequency when given energy levels, you can use the formula frequency = (energy level difference / Planck's constant), where energy level difference is the difference between the two energy levels and Planck's constant is a constant value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds. The unit for frequency is hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. Using the formula frequency = (energy level difference / Planck's constant), we can calculate the frequency of an electron transitioning from energy level n = 10 to n =
pinklemon
Calculate the frequency, in hertz, of the photon that is emitted when a electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in the H atom.

Enter a numeric answer only, no units.

I tried asking in other places but ppl are so ambiguous about it.
:( please help me.

I used rydberg formula:
1/λ = RH ∙ (1/n₁² - 1/n₂²)
(RH rydberg constant for hydrogen, n₁ lower level, n₂ higher level)

Hence:
λ = 1/ [ 1.09678×10⁷m⁻¹ ∙ (1/5² - 1/10²) ] = 3.0392×10⁻⁶m

and then I converted to Hz = 9.89e14 but i still GOT IT wrong :( Please help me someone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math, 10-6m doesn't look correct.

--
methods

The frequency, in hertz, of the photon emitted when an electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in the hydrogen atom can be calculated using the formula: f = E/h, where f is frequency, E is the energy difference between the two levels, and h is Planck's constant.

First, we can calculate the energy difference using the Rydberg formula: E = RH ∙ (1/n₁² - 1/n₂²) = 2.17987×10⁻¹⁸ J

Substituting this into the frequency formula, we get: f = (2.17987×10⁻¹⁸ J)/h = (2.17987×10⁻¹⁸ J)/(6.62607×10⁻³⁴ J∙s) = 3.2896×10¹⁴ Hz

Therefore, the frequency of the photon emitted when an electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in the hydrogen atom is 3.2896×10¹⁴ Hz.

Related to Calculate the frequency, in hertz (level n = 10 to level n = 5)

What is the formula for calculating frequency?

The formula for calculating frequency is frequency = (1 / time period), where time period is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle to occur.

How do you calculate the frequency when given energy levels?

To calculate the frequency when given energy levels, you can use the formula frequency = (energy level difference / Planck's constant), where energy level difference is the difference between the two energy levels and Planck's constant is a constant value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

What is the unit for frequency?

The unit for frequency is hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

What is the frequency of an electron transitioning from energy level n = 10 to n = 5?

Using the formula frequency = (energy level difference / Planck's constant), we can calculate the frequency of an electron transitioning from energy level n = 10 to n = 5. Assuming the energy levels are in joules, the frequency would be (4.44 x 10^-19 J / 6.626 x 10^-34 J•s) = 6.71 x 10^14 Hz.

Can the frequency of an electron transition be negative?

No, the frequency of an electron transition cannot be negative. Frequency is a measure of the number of cycles per second, and it cannot have a negative value.