Calculate speed, given radius and angle.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of a Cart Car on a tilted turn with a 30* angle and a radius of 240m, assuming no help from friction. The relevant equation is F=(m)(v^2/r), which can be used with a free body diagram to solve the problem.
Ienjoytrig...

Homework Statement

"The third turn at the Alamo Cart Dirt Speedway is tilted at 30* and has a radius of 240m. Determine the speed of the Cart Car going around the turn, assuming the car has no help from friction."

P.S.: This is not a homework or problem worth any credit. Just an extra problem I wanted to try.

Homework Equations

This is what I couldn't figure out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got a free body diagram with the normal force and the weight of the object.

Physics news on Phys.org
you know your doing it for a homework assignment. if you wanted help you shouldn't have lied. and a good place to start would be F=(m)(v^2/r)

Related to Calculate speed, given radius and angle.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed given radius and angle?

The formula for calculating speed given radius and angle is v = wr, where v is the speed, w is the angular velocity, and r is the radius.

2. How do you convert radians to degrees when calculating speed?

To convert radians to degrees, multiply the given angle in radians by 180/π.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating speed in any unit of measurement?

Yes, as long as the units for radius and time are consistent, the formula for calculating speed can be used with any unit of measurement.

4. What is the difference between tangential speed and angular speed?

Tangential speed refers to the linear speed or velocity of an object moving in a circular path, while angular speed refers to the rate at which the object rotates around its axis.

5. How does increasing the radius affect the speed of an object?

Increasing the radius of an object in a circular path will increase its speed, as long as the angular velocity remains constant. This is because the larger the radius, the longer distance the object has to cover in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher speed.