Calculate Minimum Speed for Ball to Clear Roof - Velocity Equation Help

In summary, the conversation is about determining the minimum speed needed for a ball to clear the roof of a house when thrown from one wall to another. The equations for the distance and height of the ball's trajectory are discussed, and the need to solve for the initial velocity is mentioned. The final steps involve using the maximum height and range equations to find the values for the initial velocity and launch angle.
klm
You're 6.0 m from one wall of a house. You want to toss a ball to your friend who is 6.0 m from the opposite wall. The throw and catch each occur 1.0 m above the ground. V Assume the overhang of the roof is negligible, so that you may assume the edge of the roof is 6.0 m from you and 6.0 m from your friend.

jrvi82.jpg

What minimum speed will allow the ball to clear the roof?

okay i figured out this much so far:
delta x= 9m
9= (Vo cos theta)T
delta y=5
5= (Vo sin theta)T- .5gt^2

Vy=Vosintheta - gt=0

t=Vosintheta / g

and now i know i am suppose to plug in T into the x equation and y equation to solve for Vo, but i can't figure out to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
like i know if you substitute t in the first equation you can get,

9= (Vo cos theta) (Vosintheta / g) so does that equal
9= (2Vo costheta sin theta) / g

and then

5= (Vo sin theta) (Vosintheta / g) - .5g (Vosintheta / g)^2
5= Vosin2theta/2g

but then what?

please anyone?

if anyone could please look at my work that would be great. i am online to discuss. please.

thank you first of all for responding! but i am very confused as what i am suppose to do? i know this much, that t=Vosintheta / g, but where am i suppose to substitute that into?

See here you know the maximum height and that is 3 + 3tan(45).

Now the range is 18 m.

Hence we have two variables and two equations.

So simultaneously solve the following two.

[tex]H_{max}= \frac{v^2sin^2\theta}{g}[/tex]

[tex]R = \frac{v^2\sin2\theta}{g}[/tex]

Related to Calculate Minimum Speed for Ball to Clear Roof - Velocity Equation Help

1. What is the velocity equation?

The velocity equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is represented as v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the displacement, and t is the time.

2. How do I use the velocity equation?

To use the velocity equation, you must have values for displacement and time. Simply plug these values into the formula v = d/t and solve for the velocity. Make sure to use the correct units for displacement and time to get the velocity in the desired unit.

3. Can the velocity equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the velocity equation can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or accelerated. However, it only gives the average velocity over a period of time and may not accurately represent instantaneous velocity.

4. What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph). The units are determined by the units used for displacement and time in the velocity equation.

5. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (value) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only has magnitude. This means velocity not only tells you how fast an object is moving, but also in what direction.