Calc Angle of Incidence & Reflection to Solve Determining Angle Homework

• Thread starter Robben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the angle of incidence, reflection and bounce off velocity is calculated using the following equation: ##\theta = \arctan {z\over R}##.
Robben

Homework Statement

Suppose a solid body approaches a sphere of radius one and height z, how do I calculate the angle ##\theta## at which the body bounces off the sphere? An image is attached:

blah-jpg.78628.jpg

Homework Equations

Angle of incidence, reflection and velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that the following but I still do not know how to apply it correct.

"Break down the velocity vector of the solid body into two components: one is tangential to the sphere, another one points to the centre of the sphere. Reverse the direction of the central component and add the two component together and you will have the bounce off velocity vector. The angle between incident and reflected angle is what you need. Divide it by two and you will have the answer."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you were told in this thread applies if the sphere has a fixed position (i.e. is solidly welded onto whatever) and the collision is fully elastic. The one who gave you that advice forgot to mention those restrictions. I don't see any difference with the question in the current thread, so now we have a duplication, which is frowned upon as undesirable in PF.

As long as the solid body mass is much smaller than the sphere mass, both are pretty hard and neither spin nor friction play a role, it is at best a reasonable approximation.

If your application doesn't require more sophistication, then you're fine.

As to your question: there is a z in your drawing. Would that be the height above the sphere center ? Then calculate ##\pi - 2 \arctan {z\over R}##.

BvU said:
What you were told in this thread applies if the sphere has a fixed position (i.e. is solidly welded onto whatever) and the collision is fully elastic. The one who gave you that advice forgot to mention those restrictions. I don't see any difference with the question in the current thread, so now we have a duplication, which is frowned upon as undesirable in PF.

I am sorry, I will not do that again.
As to your question: there is a z in your drawing. Would that be the height above the sphere center ? Then calculate ##\pi - 2 \arctan {z\over R}##.

Thank you very much!

Related to Calc Angle of Incidence & Reflection to Solve Determining Angle Homework

1. How do I calculate the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence can be calculated by dividing the height of the object by the distance between the object and the point of incidence, and then finding the inverse tangent of this ratio using a scientific calculator.

2. Can I use any angle to solve for the angle of reflection?

No, the angle of reflection can only be determined by using the angle of incidence and the surface's normal vector. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, but in the opposite direction.

3. Is it necessary to know the properties of the surface to calculate the angle of reflection?

Yes, the properties of the surface, such as its normal vector and the angle of incidence, are required to calculate the angle of reflection. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the angle of reflection.

4. How can I use the angle of incidence and reflection to solve real-world problems?

The angle of incidence and reflection can be used to solve various real-world problems, such as determining the angle of a mirror to reflect light in a specific direction or calculating the angle of a ramp for a wheelchair to ensure a safe and smooth ascent. These calculations are essential in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the angle of incidence and reflection?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the angle of incidence and reflection, such as the refractive index of the medium, the surface roughness, and the polarization of the incident light. These factors may alter the angle of incidence and reflection, making the calculations more complex.