C++ operator++ overloading, prefix vs postfix

In summary, the prefix and postfix versions of the ++ operator are implemented by overloading the operator with different signatures. The language specification dictates that calls to ++m1 and m2++ will correspond to calls to the prefix and postfix versions, respectively.
chingkui
I have seen how people implement the prefix and postfix ++ overloading, which are as follow:

Number& operator++ () // prefix ++
{
// Do work on this.
return *this;
}

Number operator++ (int) // postfix ++
{
Number result(*this); // make a copy for result
++(*this); // Now use the prefix version to do the work
return result; // return the copy (the old) value.
}

What I don't understand is:
When you call ++m1 and m2++, how does the machine know it should call Number& operator++ () for m1 and Number operator++ (int) for m2? I look at it and think about it for a long time, but I still couldn't tell from the syntax how it is done. Did I miss something obvious?

Technology news on Phys.org
The prefix and postfix versions have different signatures. The (int) argument to the postfix version of operator++ is a dummy argument. It's a built-in feature of the language specification that ++m1 translates to a call to operator++(), m2++ to a call to operator++(int).

Related to C++ operator++ overloading, prefix vs postfix

1. What is operator++ overloading in C++?

Operator++ overloading is a feature in C++ that allows you to redefine the behavior of the increment operator (++) for user-defined data types. This means that you can customize how your objects are incremented when the ++ operator is used on them.

2. What is the difference between prefix and postfix increment operators?

The prefix increment operator (++x) increments the value of a variable and returns the incremented value. The postfix increment operator (x++) returns the current value of the variable and then increments it. In other words, the prefix operator performs the increment operation first, while the postfix operator returns the original value and then increments it.

3. How do you overload the prefix and postfix increment operators in C++?

To overload the prefix increment operator, you need to define a member function called operator++ that takes no parameters. To overload the postfix increment operator, you need to define a member function called operator++ that takes an int as a parameter. In both cases, the return type should be the class type.

4. Can both prefix and postfix increment operators be overloaded in the same class?

Yes, it is possible to overload both the prefix and postfix increment operators in the same class. However, it is important to ensure that the behavior of both operators is consistent to avoid confusion.

5. What is the purpose of overloading the increment operators in C++?

The main purpose of overloading the increment operators is to provide a more intuitive and convenient way of manipulating user-defined objects. It allows you to define the behavior of the operators to fit the specific needs of your class, making your code more readable and maintainable.