Building a Venturi to Collect Hazelnuts

In summary, the group is attempting to build a venturi to collect hazelnuts from the ground. They are seeking advice on how to calculate the pressure difference and have shared a drawing and article for reference. They have also mentioned the requirement of a hosepipe with a 100mm crossection and 10 meters length. They are open to ideas and grateful for any help.
pigwiddeon
Hi all,

We are trying to build a venturi and I have got a couple of questions. I am not an engineer actually, and I am working together with 2 mechanical engineers who graduated and forgot everything long time ago :)

We are trying to build this venturi to collect hazelnuts from the ground. I don't think we have built the best we can do, so I thought maybe you guys can help me.

The hosepipe has to have at least 100mm crossection and 10 meters length. This is the only "must" we have.

You can check out the drawing and understand it better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62826&stc=1&d=1381605441.jpg

The hosepipe is the one on the right side. The fan is blowing from the bottom pipe and forces the air goes left which eventually creates a pressure difference. How can I do the math of this thing? I thought of giving an angle to the bottom pipe, because I think air loses its speed when it has an exact "T" shape.

Some ideas? I would be grateful if you help me.

I don't think I could explain very well; but hope you will understand.

Attachments

• tmp1.jpg
    tmp1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 587
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Building a Venturi to Collect Hazelnuts

1. How does a Venturi work to collect hazelnuts?

A Venturi is a device that uses the principle of fluid dynamics to create a vacuum that pulls objects into its collection chamber. In the case of collecting hazelnuts, the Venturi is placed in a location where hazelnuts are falling from a tree. As the nuts fall, they are pulled into the Venturi's collection chamber by the suction created by the flow of air through the device.

2. What materials are needed to build a Venturi for collecting hazelnuts?

The materials needed to build a Venturi for collecting hazelnuts include a PVC pipe, a T-joint, a 90-degree elbow joint, a collection chamber (such as a plastic bottle), and duct tape. You will also need a drill and a saw to cut and create holes in the PVC pipe.

3. How do I set up the Venturi to collect hazelnuts?

First, attach the T-joint and 90-degree elbow joint to the PVC pipe. Then, drill holes into the pipe to create the suction. Attach the collection chamber to the end of the pipe using duct tape. Place the Venturi in a location where hazelnuts are falling and adjust the angle of the T-joint to control the suction. You can also use a mesh screen to prevent debris from entering the collection chamber.

4. What is the best location for placing the Venturi to collect hazelnuts?

The best location for placing the Venturi to collect hazelnuts is directly under a hazelnut tree. Make sure the device is positioned in a way that allows the nuts to fall into the collection chamber without obstruction. You may also want to place the Venturi on a platform or elevated surface to make it easier to collect the hazelnuts.

5. How many hazelnuts can a Venturi collect in one day?

The number of hazelnuts a Venturi can collect in one day depends on several factors, such as the size of the collection chamber and the amount of hazelnuts falling from the tree. On average, a Venturi can collect several pounds of hazelnuts in one day, making it a highly efficient and time-saving method for harvesting hazelnuts.